Honored Contributor

Small world, isn't it?  I just canceled a card this morning because of a fraudulent charge.  This is getting tiresome.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor
Interesting that happened to u also..@Smoky.. who would think it wouldn't be safe for a server to take your CC and pay your bill from a table..🙁
Honored Contributor

@KKlim wrote:
Interesting that happened to u also..@Smoky.. who would think it wouldn't be safe for a server to take your CC and pay your bill from a table..🙁

@KKlim, I know!  I mean, it just wasn't the two of us- it would be anywhere from 8-20 something at dinner and these weren't inexpensive places either.. Our card was the only one "used" out of all of our friends. 

Sorry it happened to you too... it's just awful how people think they can get away with it.  American Express was all over that.. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Esteemed Contributor

@KKlim - It happens more often than you think. Just saw a show about this exact thing - maybe Netflix? or Amazon? not sure which.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I started a thread a few weeks ago about being done with my debit card.  I will only use it at the ATM to deposit or withdraw money.  Mine has been hacked numerous times and I'm tired of it.

I know a credit card can be hacked, obviously, but at least with that, your checking account isn't involved. 

@Lipstickdiva- I'm done with my debit card also. I still have it, but haven't used it in months. I thought I'd miss it, but I don't. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

Coincidence - I was told when mine was hacked it could have been a year ago that the number was stolen.  Someone bought groceries and gas in N.Carolina for a couple hundred dollars. 

Honored Contributor

Debit cards are the worst! I never use mine anymore because ONE TIME someone used my card number to make numerous purchases which inevitably were drawn right out of my checking account. I got it taken care of and it could have been a lot worse. I still had to wait for the money to be replaced by my bank and that took weeks.

IMO, debit cards should not be used like credit cards. They should only be used for atm transactions.

Valued Contributor

@KKlim wrote:

@KKlimActually, anytime your card goes out of your sight increases the chances of identity theft. I get a news feed on FB by a company that gives great tips on identity protection. Never let the card out of sight is one.

Honored Contributor

@KKlim wrote:

Me. This has been in the news many times and happened to a man a work with a few years ago. 

We hand our cards to people who walk away with them all the time and then blame online stores when someone uses our card info by getting it the easiest way imaginable - waiting for us to literally hand it to them.

Esteemed Contributor

Somehow someone managed to get money out of our savings account. It said Lowe's Epay. We haven't ever had a Lowe's credit card. Went to the bank, the woman insisted it was just a typing error, I told her we have never had anything to be debited from your savings like that. She was more interested in the amount in our account, wanting me to invest it somewhere else, we had more money in that savings acct than we have ever had when that happened, which I find suspicious. We had major storm damage, it was an insurance payment, and the people doing the work hadn't been able to get to us yet. Plus we were saving for a new car.

The next month, exactly double was taken out, Lowe's epay again. Husband was off, we went to main branch, talked to someone else, who said this was difinitely fraud. We changed acct numbers. They would look into it. We never heard anything else, but we did get our money back.

Every day, I check my bank balances online.