Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Right now where I live thieves are placing a skimming device over the slot where you insert your credit or debit card.  With this device, they are stealing your information when you insert your card.

these devices were found at several gas stations and at ATM"s at the banks.  Thieves install them over the weekend when the machines are heavly used and remove them on Sunday night before the bank opens on Monday.

The police have made several arrests and just today stopped a car for a traffic violation that had these devices in plain view when they were stopped.

This is exactly how my card got hacked. I used it in a store where there was an illegally installed scanner on a cash register checkout...the kind where the cashier takes your card and swipes it next to the register...and bingo, my info was stolen right there.

Honored Contributor

@Leeny wrote:

My debit card was compromised at Arby's recently. This is  my 3rd time mine has been compromised. One time at Macy's and another at TJ MAXX. Isn't technology grand? 

Now I have to remembera new pin again.  I think I know why my Dad always wanted to deal with cash and not checking accounts or credit cards.

@Leeny  I've been compromised several times with my debit card but I've never had to change my PIN number but was issued a new card with a new account number. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624

This is the first time I got a notice for a new pin. What I find interesting is my DH didn't get his compromised. We are on the same account an d he can keep his. ??

Honored Contributor

@Leeny  It almost sounds as though your PIN was used to do the hack, but usually that's not possible.  Maybe your bank just decided it was time to change. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor
@granny me.. I love the bang bang shrimp- LOL. That nite I had the bang bang tacos. - that was a cute comment...lol.. thanks to all the other ladies that shared their stories about their unfortunate cc hacking.
Respected Contributor
Btw- I was in work and never returned back to the conversation - sorry it took several hours for me to respond back to the posters.. thanks again for everyone sharing their stories and advice. Very helpful!!
Valued Contributor

years ago, when my son was a server at a national bar/grill restaurant, he told me the servers ROUTINELY checked the customers available credit limit on their credit or debit card, before they entered their order into the computer..not sure if it is still done, but pretty scary if it is..I get very nervous when my card is out of my sight for more than a couple of minutes.

Honored Contributor

on this topic I take an older lady to do her errands whenever she needs to go.

The strangest thing happened the other day - glad I was with her! She was using her debit/credit bank card at I believe it was Dollar General she had a few cards & snacks.  

I must say this particular DG is like a robbers delight (but not in bad area) it's on a out of the way street & I never see cars in lot & the "help" is not the nicest looking or courteous/helpful (I know I'm judging book by cover😉) ---

Anyway, he rings up her order & tells her to "swipe card". He then said "sorry I'm having problems with this register - just stay here ill take your card to the other register & process it"

My friend said "OK".  Well, I chirped in and said "how can you do this - aren't the card machines attached to that register, we can come over there."

He said "oh no, I can override & process for you"!

I'm thinking yeah right - the other register is NOT anywhere near the one we were using - I said "no, I'll just pay cash for her order"

Something was "fishy" -- so I'm talking to a neighbor & she tells me her card was "hacked" guess what she had been to that store last week. 

😤😤😤😤😤

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC inappropriate

Honored Contributor

@Evie2004 wrote:

years ago, when my son was a server at a national bar/grill restaurant, he told me the servers ROUTINELY checked the customers available credit limit on their credit or debit card, before they entered their order into the computer..not sure if it is still done, but pretty scary if it is..I get very nervous when my card is out of my sight for more than a couple of minutes.

Personally, I've never been to a restaurant of any kind that asks for payment before or at the time I order, only after my meal.

If they did, I'd go to another restaurant and never go back there.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.