Honored Contributor

@Quse wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Used it here this morning and not 10 minutes later it was hacked for $336 worth of clothes at site called Zara . com...

Coincidence?  

Up until this morning it hadn't been used in 10 days...

In all likelihood, yes, that's a coincidence. It doesn't happen that fast.

The fact that it hadn't been used for 10 days has nothing to do with it. Hackers often go into systems and steal large amounts of data and sell it, so it can be weeks or months before a number is actually used after it's been stolen by a hacker.

That doesn't mean it's not possible, but it's not likely.

True. Sometimes it takes years for a hacked account to be used. Target had a major hack a while back, also BJ's. Happens all the time, it's ubiquitous these days. And even if you don't use the card at all, but carry it with you, that RFID chip is constantly broadcasting info into the ethersphere...

Most debit/credit cards don't have RFID chips, so most cards thankfully aren't broadcasting anywhere. Most are EMV cards that don't emit an RF signal and can't be scanned without being inserted into a device. Some cards do use RFID and some use both RFID and EMV systems, so it pays to check all your cards and every new card you get to find out if it has RFID chip inside so you can take precautions. A lot of licenses and passports have RFID chips now, but the chips don't contain your personal data in the information the chip puts out.

Here's some info about Enhanced Driver's Licenses from the Department of Homeland Security:

No personally identifiable information is stored on the card's RFID chip or can be transmitted electronically by the card. The card uses a unique identification number that links to information contained in a secure Department of Homeland Security database. This number does not contain any personally identifiable information.

When you get an enhanced drivers license, you will also receive:

• information on how to use, carry and protect your license, and
  • a shielded sleeve that prevents anyone from reading your license.

Source: https://www.dhs.gov/enhanced-drivers-licenses-what-are-they

This is a good article about the newer EMV cards and the differences between EMV and RFID cards: https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/the-basics-of-chip-and-pin-credit-cards/2013/05/16/9...

Respected Contributor

Re Lipstick Diva's post, My dh and I don't have ATM card.

We go to bank cash check every 2 weeks. It works. It also

acts as a limit on spending, although I use credit cards on web. Dh tries to deal with cash as much as possible.

Trusted Contributor

A year ago, just before Christmas our cc was hacked.  No kidding about being inconvenienced while waiting for the new card to come in the mail and then having to take care of the many online places where bills are paid, etc. 

Then last month, we were alerted again to two fraudulent charges.  Couldn't believe it.  Had to start all over again. Thankful to be alerted, but very time consuming and aggravating. 

Valued Contributor

@KKlim wrote:
DH and I ate at a Bonefish Grill seafood restaurant and his card was hacked there. It happened when the waiter took the card from us st the table to pay he bill. Waiter was gone for approximately 5 minutes. We found out afterwards in a several day period thousands $$ was charged. Whomever had a ball spending and charging on DH's credit card. It was s stressful experience to get straightened out..🙁

I am sorry you were hacked, but did you have the bang bang shrimp? I love that place.

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I started a thread a few weeks ago about being done with my debit card.  I will only use it at the ATM to deposit or withdraw money.  Mine has been hacked numerous times and I'm tired of it.

I know a credit card can be hacked, obviously, but at least with that, your checking account isn't involved. 

Years ago I had a debit card.  I have since cancelled and don't use at all.

@Lipstickdiva, I agree with you, it's bad enough having a credit card hacked, don't want my checking account involved.

I was at my bank yesterday.  The teller said, "Let me see your debit card".  I told her I didn't have one.  She acted astonished that I didn't have one.

Respected Contributor

@KKlim, I learned many years ago to never use your credit card at a restaurant. Unless, they have a card reader that is brought to your table for the transaction. 

Apparently, it's easy for the waiter/waitress to take your credit card and take a photo or copy of the front and back of the credit card.  It only takes seconds. 

I only pay cash for my meal, always. 

Honored Contributor

@Sunshine Kate - I thought we were about the only people that didn't have one!

Respected Contributor

There is an app called  Card Valet, you can turn your debit card "off" if you know you are not going to use it.  It was recommended by my bank.  Its free and I just downloaded from the App store.  There are other parameters you can et up for it too, like can only be used in a certain zip code etc.  Its a great idea.  

Super Contributor

I had mine hacked twice in 6 months. On election day they went to town spending.

Honored Contributor

Right now where I live thieves are placing a skimming device over the slot where you insert your credit or debit card.  With this device, they are stealing your information when you insert your card.

these devices were found at several gas stations and at ATM"s at the banks.  Thieves install them over the weekend when the machines are heavly used and remove them on Sunday night before the bank opens on Monday.

The police have made several arrests and just today stopped a car for a traffic violation that had these devices in plain view when they were stopped.