Honored Contributor

Used it here this morning and not 10 minutes later it was hacked for $336 worth of clothes at site called Zara . com...

Coincidence?  

Up until this morning it hadn't been used in 10 days...

Trusted Contributor

Both mine and my husband's Costco Citibank card was hacked.  It's so frustrating!  Mine was used twice by people.  Two tickets to a concert in Michigan was one the charges.

Respected Contributor

My debit card was compromised at Arby's recently. This is  my 3rd time mine has been compromised. One time at Macy's and another at TJ MAXX. Isn't technology grand? 

Now I have to remembera new pin again.  I think I know why my Dad always wanted to deal with cash and not checking accounts or credit cards.

Honored Contributor

I started a thread a few weeks ago about being done with my debit card.  I will only use it at the ATM to deposit or withdraw money.  Mine has been hacked numerous times and I'm tired of it.

I know a credit card can be hacked, obviously, but at least with that, your checking account isn't involved. 

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Used it here this morning and not 10 minutes later it was hacked for $336 worth of clothes at site called Zara . com...

Coincidence?  

In all likelihood, yes, that's a coincidence. It doesn't happen that fast.

The fact that it hadn't been used for 10 days has nothing to do with it. Hackers often go into systems and steal large amounts of data and sell it, so it can be weeks or months before a number is actually used after it's been stolen by a hacker.

That doesn't mean it's not possible, but it's not likely.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I started a thread a few weeks ago about being done with my debit card.  I will only use it at the ATM to deposit or withdraw money.  Mine has been hacked numerous times and I'm tired of it.

I know a credit card can be hacked, obviously, but at least with that, your checking account isn't involved. 

Just had this conversation with my husband over the weekend.  Within the next few weeks he is going to retire completely and there will be no more paper checks - his pension is direct deposit as is my social security.

We decided we won't be getting one but instead will go to the bank and cash a check for what we will need for the month.

Respected Contributor

Yes, it's very annoying and makes us feel very vulnerable (we are).  I don't have a debit card and don't want one, I have one main CC I use for almost everything, and it was hacked once last October.  There were 4 or 5 charges to the HomeDepot website within a couple days.  I don't shop at Home Depot, so it was easy to spot.  My CC gave me no issues (they're used to it) but it's a pain not having a card for a week or so until they send the new one.  Then you have to change everything around.  I think we all live in fear these days......I also think many websites don't ask for the 3-digit security code when placing an order.

Laura loves cats!
Valued Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Coincidence?  

In all likelihood, yes, that's a coincidence. It doesn't happen that fast.

The fact that it hadn't been used for 10 days has nothing to do with it. Hackers often go into systems and steal large amounts of data and sell it, so it can be weeks or months before a number is actually used after it's been stolen by a hacker.

That doesn't mean it's not possible, but it's not likely.

True. Sometimes it takes years for a hacked account to be used. Target had a major hack a while back, also BJ's. Happens all the time, it's ubiquitous these days. And even if you don't use the card at all, but carry it with you, that RFID chip is constantly broadcasting info into the ethersphere...

Honored Contributor

this is so frustrating to say the least. we don't have credit cards but dh name was hacked and began getting quotes for car insurances. when i found out what was happening. 

had to call our car insurance people to make sure all was ok with car-house-and any other insurance we have.

dh and i joined life lock, this time around it scared us. 

Respected Contributor
DH and I ate at a Bonefish Grill seafood restaurant and his card was hacked there. It happened when the waiter took the card from us st the table to pay he bill. Waiter was gone for approximately 5 minutes. We found out afterwards in a several day period thousands $$ was charged. Whomever had a ball spending and charging on DH's credit card. It was s stressful experience to get straightened out..🙁