Honored Contributor

Re: Could you, would you unplug?

No, because I use the internet to conduct our business and pay bills, and check on things.  I'd spend half my time writing checks and looking for stamps if I unplugged.  

It's a must for most people now.  I'm not a facebooker and don't text much so that part would be no problem.

Valued Contributor

Not only could I, but I do it all the time.  I find it more than ridiculous to see people at lunch with others, at dinner tables, in grocery stores, etc. to have the need to be on the phone.

Pretentious!

Please spare me all the prostestations about having to be in contact with hundreds of others - we certainly managed in the old days to spend hours without a phone attached to our ears.

Most of the overheard conversations (please lower your voices!) are about nothing at all.

Respected Contributor

Being perfectly honest, it would be a 1 for the cell phone which I rarely use, but a 10 for my laptop.  (I know my smart phone is capable of doing almost everything the laptop can do, like email,  internet, bill pay I am just not comfortable using it.)  

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

Boy, that is a tough One! The beach sounds nice....I would have to be there and see how I felt... but, it has been a LONG TIME not with my comforts.... and I think I might be just too addicted to unplug for a whole week.....I would try two days first!

Honored Contributor

We do it always under these 2 conditions:

1) Our children are ALL with us

2) There is a phone available where we are.

We carry one but leave it in the car.  We also don't take any electronics with us so no lap top, no tablets, no nothing.

In 20 plus years, no emergency has ever happened that we have needed to make or take a call. Knock on wood.

Honored Contributor

I could let go of the computer.  The cell phone - no way.  My luck I would leave the phone and then there would be a family emergency and no one could reach me.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Sure, no problem.  I only took my laptop on a vacation one time and it was a nightmare (things didn't go well as far as the internet card thing we had then), so that was just something to worry about getting stolen the whole time.

If I brought my phone it would just be for emergencies and tucked away somewhere.  If we were both going, he would have his anyway.  I don't live for my phone at all, though, and I don't like going online on the phone either - tiny screen, one finger (cuz thumbs bad with arthritis) typing on that tiny keyboard.  No thanks for this chicken!

Honored Contributor

I'm a 10 too.  I would not want to be so isolated and out of touch.  I wouldn't find something like that relaxing at all.

Honored Contributor

I could do it in a heartbeat, with only a landline to provide a number for emergency purposes for my family that might not be with me. 

I usually leave my cell in the car, and sometimes don't touch it for a week at a time. 

I'm on the PC simply because it is here. We have had it break down a few times, and after the first day, I don't miss it much. A couple of times it was down for over a week until we could get it fixed, and when it came back, I would find that I had 'forgot' to get on for long periods of time.

In fact, when my son (probably 10 years ago) was little, we had no internet, no cell phone and we shut the satellite off the TV every summer for 4 months. 

Life was great. We read, played games, and worked outside. Went to his baseball games in the evening, caught lightening bugs etc. 

I enjoy the devices to a point, but adapt to not having them quite nicely. Glad I was born and raised knowing that there actually is a life without them.