Honored Contributor

Re: Could you, would you unplug?

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

10 at our house...although I do wish cable was less expensive and we didn't pay for all the sport and cartoon channels we never watch.

@Mom2Dogs

Don't know which cable company you use, but I just reduced my Comcast cable bill by over $60 by getting their "economy bundle," and eliminating all sports channels.  I did keep HBO and those channels that come with it.  Otherwise, I am paying for straight cable and the regular networks. 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Cell phone:  That would be so easy for me.  I am NOT attached to my cell phone.

Computer:  Now that's another story.  I would definitely miss it.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have little to no interest in my cell phone. I don't text and I only use it for emergencies. 

As as far as a week without my computer? I could do it but I use my computer for banking and like keeping on top of it. Just makes life easier for me.

Honored Contributor

I can go without my phone as long as you wish with no problems but I'm not leaving without my iPad or laptop. LOL!!! I would totally go crazy without it.

Honored Contributor

If my immediate family, including my dog, are all with me on vacation -- easy-peasy, it would be a 1.

However, I have a 91 year old mother out of state.  My cell phone stays on 24/7.  So just me alone for a week -- it would be a 10 not to have my cell phone.

Respected Contributor

Totally fine with it. I feared I was becoming addicted to my iPad, so I have pulled back. I didn't check email for a month. Victory! I am a news junkie, so not checking headlines often would be the hardest part, but what's the point of getting AWAY if you take it all with you? I was so glad to retire early and no longer be tethered to the office 24/7! (I had to keep in touch, even on vacation.) It saddens me these days to see people at the beach, for example, who aren't in the moment at all but are simply looking at their phones.

Trusted Contributor

10+!!!  I would at least need my iPad.  But, I consider a cell phone a necessity, due to emergencies.  However, I can text on my iPad, to keep in touch.

But, I would at least NEED my iPad.  I use my Kindle app to read.  And, if we're away, I can stream movies, TV shows, or our DVR recordings, because I need something to keep busy at night when I can't sleep.  Smiley Happy

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

I would love to be unplugged.  Not permanently, but a week or two would be wonderful.  And as long as family could reach me in case of emergency.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Comfortable for me to leave cell phone at home, but I probably would take it in case I needed it for an emergency, but I could easily leave it turned off the whole week and probably would.  Can't imagine taking computer with me.  I would take tablet.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Never! My cell phone is always on and I actually wear it during the day.

I remember when I never turned my cell phone on and did not text. Then, during an emergency my daughter couldn’t contact me. That incident completely changed my feeling about cell phones.  

And I would not leave my tablet behind either. I’m too used to having it for information and amusement and buying stuff.

ETA: Would be a whopping 10.