Respected Contributor

Re: Could you, would you unplug?

I'd be a 12 on that 1-10 scale. Just the thought of this makes me extremely uncomfortable and I wouldn't be able to do it.

I do spend extended periods of time at the beach, but my phone never actually goes on to the beach. I leave it inside, but I need to have it for a number of reasons. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

I just would take mine to check my mail delivery and see if I had anything to pick up at library.

I'm not addicted to modern media. Some how we manged to grow old without it and the pitfalls that can accompany it. Wouldn't even care about contacting sisters and friends on it. They can wait till I get home.

P.gif           won't be me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I could and would totally unplug for a beach vacay.  Well, except for having a phone with me, in case there is an emergency.  I don't spend a lot of time on my phone to begin with

At the beach I need nothing but the sand, the sound of the waves, the smell of the salty air, the sea birds, maybe a boat, and a raft.  Oh, and a few good books.  Heaven!.

Not for too many other things, though.   Maybe if I were in an interesting city, visiting friends, then I'm pretty certain I'd be fine with unplugging.  But for just regular travel for work or something, I'd need my laptop, too.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do this every time I go on vacation. Last time was this past Janurary. I would be a 1 or 2. I don't even really charge my phone on vacation.

It's not that hard for me because I've learned how to compartmentalize. I know that it's healthy to have separation at given times for various things. I know how important a real vacation is and if it's not during your actual time off then when?

When I have to concentrate on a paper etc. I disengage from my phone on a regular basis. I've always been against being super connected when it first became a thing. I refuse to get a smart watch for the same reason. If it's an emergency, I will receive a call to my private home number that I have linked to my cell and they can leave a message.

I fight the urge to check my phone so much. IMO it teaches you to have a form of ADHD to the point that people can't do anything without constant interruption.

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

usually take 2 week cruise.  First few days are "withdrawal" then I forget about it unless we are in port that has free wi-fi or I can get service.  I don't buy cruise internet service nor my phone provider "hot spot" or whatever it's called.

On land...would be about 9!  I always have my phone on me!  Funny thing, 5 years ago if you asked me about getting a "smartphone" I'd say my "flip" phone w/no bells & whistles was fine!

Then along comes my son with a nice Apple Iphone for me...after 1 hour I was "hooked"!  I take my phone to the beach, etc. I just stick it in lock n lock small container w/my camera. (I like pics taken on my camera vs phone).

Trusted Contributor

I have a TracFone and cannot take it on vacations outside of the U.S. because it plain doesn't work.  To be honest, I rarely use it anyway and frequently forget it at home after charging the darn thing.  People seem bothered by this and find it hard to believe.

Honored Contributor

No problem at all for me. 

DH would have withdrawal symptoms.

Respected Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

On a scale of 1-10... how uncomfortable would you be  leaving your cell phone and computer at home to spend a week at a beach house, cabin or resort?

For me, it would be a 9, maybe a 10.  I would not find it relaxing to be so out of touch.

Cell phone............4

Computer..........8 or 9

Honored Contributor

Not a problem for me.   

Honored Contributor

i would not  and do not unplug when i am at the beach.

there really is no reason to.

i enjoy having my phone on the beach so that i can listen to my sirius/xm radio.

i enjoy having my laptop with me so that i can read and relax on the balcony or unwind in my bed at night.

i also do not like to go a day without checking on my bank accounts in particular. i like to be proactive so that i can stay on top of unusual activity.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein