Honored Contributor

@Shepherd wrote:

I'd give an AmEx gift card. Cash is better than a check. Checks are seldom used today and raise suspicion in some.

@Shepherd

???   Why would you think anyone would  be suspicious of a check?

Honored Contributor

Neither for me.  When I give cash, I give an American Express gift card.  They never expire and the recipients can spend them anywhere they want.  Safer than cash and my checks are not out there floating around.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Cash.  It would be very difficult for a child to cash a check.  He probably doesn't have an account.  Without an account, you can't cash a check.

He would have to endorse the check over to an adult, who in turn would have to cash it for him.

i always give cash at wedding receptions too.  Never had a security issue. 

@Carmie

Even if there wasn't much in it, most children are given a savings account by some close relative, if the parents haven't already done so.  In our family, we all had savings accounts before we were even a month old.

Valued Contributor

Re: Check or Cash?

[ Edited ]

Forgot to mention that in the card I always state what the gift was I gave so the person receiving the gift so they can make a note of it.

Respected Contributor

Thanks everyone.  I think I will write a check.  I'm worried my daughter will misplace the card.  Also, the money can slip out of the card and that will be that. 

Honored Contributor

cash

Honored Contributor

@Shepherd wrote:

I'd give an AmEx gift card. Cash is better than a check. Checks are seldom used today and raise suspicion in some.

Not if given as a gift. Maybe to a store, but then they take it right there like an atm card.

I always give the receipt when I give a person a gift card.

Honored Contributor

There has been an issue at many banks that they won't cash a check unless you have an account with them.

Many banks also make people come in to pick up the check they just took from a drive in window even though no one else is in line.

Other banks charge a fee to cash the check drawn on THEM if YOU don't have an account with them.

I found this out trying to get consignment checks cashed.

Esteemed Contributor

A check is always BEST!!! Just in case the envelope magically disappears.

Honored Contributor

There is no charge, no problem to deposit any check drawn on any bank into one's checking or savings account. If the child hasn't an account, although I can't imagine a 13 year old not having a savings account, he can endorse the check and his parent can deposit it into their account and give him the cash.