Respected Contributor

@Laura14  Many people bank online now via mobile apps, so they don't have to go to the bank to make a deposit.  And ATMs are everywhere for deposits and withdrawals. If you're kind enough to write someone a check, he or she should be happy and grateful!

Respected Contributor

Always a check....cash can be misplaced, especially when giving it to a child. 

Honored Contributor

Cash.  It would be very difficult for a child to cash a check.  He probably doesn't have an account.  Without an account, you can't cash a check.

He would have to endorse the check over to an adult, who in turn would have to cash it for him.

i always give cash at wedding receptions too.  Never had a security issue. 

Super Contributor

Re: Check or Cash?

[ Edited ]

I give a check for all gift giving occasions. A while ago I went to a wedding. My gift check was not cashed. I thought maybe it would be cashed after the thank you cards had been written. That’s what I do. The bride remarked that she finished sending out her thank you cards. I descretely mentioned that my check had not been cashed and I did not get a thank you card. She thought that people did not give gifts because it was her second marriage. She lost her first husband twenty years earlier to cancer and it was a first marriage for the husband. After she did some discrete inquiring she realized that many envelopes were stolen at the reception. I was the only one to mention it. She thanked me for letting her know. 

PS I wrote another check. 

Valued Contributor

Re: Check or Cash?

[ Edited ]

Postal Money Order works best and is traceable if lost or stolen.

Also  you can cash any check at a check cashing store as long as you have in your posession to show the cashier your Photo ID motor vehicle drivers license  or motor vehicle non driver photo id card, and also bring with you a few already paid bills that display your name and address and are marked as paid like a gas bill, electric bill, cable bill, or department store paid bill, etc.

Honored Contributor

A check. Not only can cash get misplaced, confusion as to who gave what can come about when the cash is gathered together. Easier when writing thank yous too since your name is on the check.

Respected Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

My daughter is going to a Bar Mitzvah tomorrow.  I plan on giving money.  Would you give cash or a check?  TIA.

A CHECK - regardless of the amount.

Honored Contributor

i would think that MOST people put check or cash into a card and not just hand it to the recepient or the parent. or a decorated box placed in a safe area.

once the person is opening the cards probably at home, there are easy ways to record the gift inside. you can have a separate paper OR what i prefer to do is to write the amount on the back of the card and then go through them to send thank you notes.

whenever someone gives me a check as a gift, i actually write " thank you" on the check (usually in the memo section, sometimes on the back) and then call or write a thank you note in addition.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

I always give a check.This way I’m sure it was received .

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

Depends on the amount and security of the event.  If it's $50 or under, I do cash.  More than that, I like a check even though I know it is a PIA these days because most people hate driving to the bank.  

@Laura14 . I no longer drive to the bank to deposit a check.  I have a app on my phone and deposit it by taking a photo front & back of the check...So easy! Smiley Happy