Honored Contributor

Re: Changes to Social Security Disability 2020

@Nuttmeg : The attorney fee is worth the effort because without help- a person will be struggling for years and dealing with more stress while the social security administration continue to deny your claim and waiting to reapply. Southern Bee

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@PinkSunset

@PinkSunset wrote:

@Nbo wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

@Nbo wrote:

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I am all for eliminating fraud....there are people who know how to work the system.

My daughter is on Disability and if you have documentation that you are being treated for your illness, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

@Nataliesgramma I am lucky that I am married and we are able to live with one income. I worked until I could no longer work. I look healthy but the burning nerve pain I have is so bad that sometimes I can't even think. I stopped working because I started having to check and recheck my work because I was scare to mess up. I have been seeing a Doctor for this condition and no I don't qualify for disability. It's nerve damage and not enough for disability. 

@Nbo   Have you seen a disability attorney?  There are no fees unless your case is approved and you win.  The attorney's fees are paid from your disability.

I applied for disability on my own and was turned down 3 times.  I knew I was disabled, and so did my doctors.  I finally went to an attorney at my doctor's suggestion and was approved.  It was a very long process, and I got paid back to the first date they said I was disabled.  Now I get monthly payments.  I would think significant nerve damage would definitely qualify you for disability. It certainly can't hurt to see an attorney.  They have lots of experience and will not take your case if they don't think you can win.  My attorney said you were usually turned down if you didn't have an attorney.

@NickNack No,but I will look into it. Thanks

I didn't see this mentioned but the attorneys take a percentage of your monthly income that is awarded - for life. So just know that while they may win your case, they will take some of the money as well. Or, in sone cases, a friend of mine finally got her case approved after 3 years of working with attorneys and got a lump sum, They took a bit cut of the final award. 

@PinkSunset

A Social Security Disability attorney receives payment only when he or she wins a case. When a person goes before a judge, and wins. The judge sets the date of disability and the amount of the attorney's fee. 

I was very fortunate to find a great attorney and her staff help me with my claim. 

I did not need to have a hearing. The fee may have been 5-6K dollars. This amount can from the the back money. 

yes, I know that. I'm just mentioning it because it does diminish your award.

Respected Contributor

@PinkSunset wrote:

@bathina wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

Instead of looking at what others are getting or have, why not look at what we have.  When I read some of these posts it makes me sad at the lack of compassion  or insight for those who a on disability, welfare, food stamps or such. It might be better to be be thankful that you dont have to need the services.  Dont worry about what they get.  I pay taxes for lots of things I dont use.  I dont  have kids in schooll yet  I help pay for them.  I have paid taxes on everything for over 50 years of my life.  There will always be a few that take advantage of everything.  But if it means 9 of the 10 people who receive food stamps need and appreciate them in their life it is worth it.

be thankful and not so judgemental of those in need..

i think there is a saying about walking in moccasins I could use here.  But I think the point is driven.

There are many miserable people who walk through life comparing what they have to others. They are resentful because they've never been able to make anything of themselves. They've reached advanced age and they are alone and unhappy.

Couple that with gross ignorance at the top of the food chain and voila - you've got people grousing over a lousy few dollars and mocking disabled people.

Pity them. They will sadly get what is coming to them and will be shown the same mercy they've shown others. Theirs is an unhappy ending. Be glad you're not them.

I'm appalled at your characterization of many people with this broad swipe, 

Resentful because they've never made anything of themseves? Not even close,

Advanced age and alone and unhappy? How dare you?

Grousing over a few dollars? This is about reviewing a process that is rife with abusers, and in the end, those who do truly need help will not get enough because so many others are gaming the system and many think it is just too cruel to perhaps weed them out,

...sadly get what is coming to them? So you are deeming yourself one of the merciful ones by allowing too many programs to look the other way at theft and fraud and then waiting for the day when others will get their just due. So merciful of you, 

I hope you, or no one you know, has a business and employs people, because you know if one of the workers in that company stole from the business owner, he/she should just look the other way. 

Interesting that you saw yourself in my post. Must have struck a nerve.

Valued Contributor

@bathina wrote:

@PinkSunset wrote:

@bathina wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

Instead of looking at what others are getting or have, why not look at what we have.  When I read some of these posts it makes me sad at the lack of compassion  or insight for those who a on disability, welfare, food stamps or such. It might be better to be be thankful that you dont have to need the services.  Dont worry about what they get.  I pay taxes for lots of things I dont use.  I dont  have kids in schooll yet  I help pay for them.  I have paid taxes on everything for over 50 years of my life.  There will always be a few that take advantage of everything.  But if it means 9 of the 10 people who receive food stamps need and appreciate them in their life it is worth it.

be thankful and not so judgemental of those in need..

i think there is a saying about walking in moccasins I could use here.  But I think the point is driven.

There are many miserable people who walk through life comparing what they have to others. They are resentful because they've never been able to make anything of themselves. They've reached advanced age and they are alone and unhappy.

Couple that with gross ignorance at the top of the food chain and voila - you've got people grousing over a lousy few dollars and mocking disabled people.

Pity them. They will sadly get what is coming to them and will be shown the same mercy they've shown others. Theirs is an unhappy ending. Be glad you're not them.

I'm appalled at your characterization of many people with this broad swipe, 

Resentful because they've never made anything of themseves? Not even close,

Advanced age and alone and unhappy? How dare you?

Grousing over a few dollars? This is about reviewing a process that is rife with abusers, and in the end, those who do truly need help will not get enough because so many others are gaming the system and many think it is just too cruel to perhaps weed them out,

...sadly get what is coming to them? So you are deeming yourself one of the merciful ones by allowing too many programs to look the other way at theft and fraud and then waiting for the day when others will get their just due. So merciful of you, 

I hope you, or no one you know, has a business and employs people, because you know if one of the workers in that company stole from the business owner, he/she should just look the other way. 

Interesting that you saw yourself in my post. Must have struck a nerve.

Cruelty at its finest. 

QVC Customer Care

Esteemed Contributor

@PinkSunset

Yes, the money your attorney receives does diminish your total award. An attorney's practice has to pay SSA a processing charge to receive their fee. 

A person has to pay taxes on this lump sum award. 

No one gets a free pass. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@SouthernBee

@SouthernBee wrote:

@I am still oxox : I am handicapped but worked for over 23 years in a very stressful job but had to retire on disability. I had to fill out review papers every two years but had the medical documents to support my case. I will be 66 in July and have been told the disability social security with change over to regular social security but don't know if the amount will decrease. Sad that some people assume if you get disability- you have never worked, lied and cheated to get the benefits. Plus some disabilities are severe but no physical evidence to show what a person struggles with on a daily basis.Southern Bee

@SouthernBee

The amount of your allowance will stay the same. You will get your Cola. 

I read that the age SSDI disability switches over  to medicare  at age 65 not 66.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden  The change for me was 66. It depends your birth date. SSA has a table online. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@SeaMaiden  The change for me was 66. It depends your birth date. SSA has a table online. 

@Nuttmeg    oh! Thanks for the correction!

here is the chart.

• 1938 – 65 years and 2 months
  • 1939 – 65 years and 4 months
  • 1940 – 65 years and 6 months
  • 1941 – 65 years and 8 months
  • 1942 – 65 years and 10 months
  • 1943 through 1954 – 66 years
  • 1955 – 66 years and 2 months
  • 1956 – 66 years and 4 months
  • 1957 – 66 years and 6 months
  • 1958 – 66 years and 8 months
  • 1959 – 66 years and 10 months
  • 1960 and later – 67 years
Respected Contributor

@PinkSunset wrote:

@Nbo wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

@Nbo wrote:

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I am all for eliminating fraud....there are people who know how to work the system.

My daughter is on Disability and if you have documentation that you are being treated for your illness, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

@Nataliesgramma I am lucky that I am married and we are able to live with one income. I worked until I could no longer work. I look healthy but the burning nerve pain I have is so bad that sometimes I can't even think. I stopped working because I started having to check and recheck my work because I was scare to mess up. I have been seeing a Doctor for this condition and no I don't qualify for disability. It's nerve damage and not enough for disability. 

@Nbo   Have you seen a disability attorney?  There are no fees unless your case is approved and you win.  The attorney's fees are paid from your disability.

I applied for disability on my own and was turned down 3 times.  I knew I was disabled, and so did my doctors.  I finally went to an attorney at my doctor's suggestion and was approved.  It was a very long process, and I got paid back to the first date they said I was disabled.  Now I get monthly payments.  I would think significant nerve damage would definitely qualify you for disability. It certainly can't hurt to see an attorney.  They have lots of experience and will not take your case if they don't think you can win.  My attorney said you were usually turned down if you didn't have an attorney.

@NickNack No,but I will look into it. Thanks

I didn't see this mentioned but the attorneys take a percentage of your monthly income that is awarded - for life. So just know that while they may win your case, they will take some of the money as well. Or, in sone cases, a friend of mine finally got her case approved after 3 years of working with attorneys and got a lump sum, They took a bit cut of the final award. 

What I' ve bolded is not true. The lawyer takes a cut of the lump-sum back award, and the amount is defined and limited by the government. Lawyers do NOT get a perpetual cut of your government check.

The amount of bad info on this thread is frightening.