Honored Contributor

Re: Changes to Social Security Disability 2020

@esmerelda wrote:

Add food stamps, subsidized housing, food banks,  “soup kitchens,”Medicaid. They get what they need.  

The amount they get may be based on their work history, but not the money they Govternmget. And those who have never worked…I don’t know how their amount is determined.

It’s tax money. 

Shoekitty said

Most of what you said is untrue. Most people on disability do not qualify for medicaid, you do not get foodstamps with most disability and i laugh about the housing.  Not in california.  Subsadized housing housing is a rarity here. There is a waiting list of thousands and you usually have to have children, long story.If you are in a facilit you benone of those things if you are on disability. Soup kitchens are not in every town, in our town they serve dinner twice a week.  

Honored Contributor

@bathina 

I pay more in taxes than Jeff Bezos has paid in 2 years.  It wrong.  But what do I know?  The sad part is medicare costs us more than we ever paid for private insurance. 

Honored Contributor

@Daisy Sunflower wrote:

@topcat10 wrote:

Disability is based off an individual's work history...so how are your tax dollars going to someone who is too lazy to work?

Not sure about details, but you may be eligible for disability benefits if your husband is deceased and he had met the required amount of credits.

Shoekitty said

Yes you can.  If you are of age you have a choice to take  disability or social security..which ever is higher. For disability the criteria is high. People who are totally unable to work due to disruptive mental illness or extreme illness can get disability. If they have never worked if a parent or spouse has worked and has credits.  But if your family income is a certain amount you cannot have disability.

my brother has mental illness since he was 15.  My parents supported him until he was impossible to live with, about 28 yrs old. Then he needed group care, and now boarding care assisted living. He never has worked, ever due to his illness. He got disability from mom and dad.  His medications and medical care are more than anyone could afford. 
here is the sad part.  Mom wanted to support him partially and bethim a better boarding situation.  But we are not allowed to contribute to food, rent or medical care.  Thats how it works sadly

Esteemed Contributor

@bathina wrote:

@50Mickey wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

Give me a break .  There isnt a person in most states. who could live on SDI alone.  They dont allow you much of anything.  You arent ever allowed to accumulate more than 1,999 in cash.  You cannot own a car younger than 10 yrs ol.  You are not allowed to earn more than 20 bucks a month.  If you want to work, fine....but they deduct every penny from your check.  They have a way of finding out if you do earn money too.  My brother once got a refund from something and they knew.  It was for about 52 dollars, and they take it out of next check.

we didnt even have time to report it.  You are not allowed to own property with equity of a certain amount. The list goes on.  Being rent here is around 3,500 for a boarding home, that includes food, the cheapest rent is about 1800 for a studio in the barrio, but average rent here is about 2500 for a 1 bedroom apt,

My brother is on about 21 meds a dAy He is in a home with 36 other patients.  He sHares a 10 by 10 room with another gentlman. I pay all but 55 bucks of his check on rent.  Even at that the state has to pit h in to cover the rest as he needs care.  He is deaf in one ear, partial hearing in the other yet he is not allowed a hearing aid covered by medical.  If I buy it I have to go through a special process which they never get right, and usually discontinue his check for a while until straightened out.  They think he bought the hearing aid, and he is not allowed to have that money.  Lol. No kidding.

so as I said, the disability system is not only hard and a long process...it is beyond me how anyone could live or want to live on that money.  It is a lot of work for 1100 a month. they talk to the doctors.  So its not like you get a form fill it out and they will except it.

@shoekitty  I believe you are confusing Social Security disablity with SSI disability. Social Security and Medicare are not means tested and do not count one's property or resources in determining eligibility. On the other hand SSI does as it is a tax payer funded benefit as is Medicaid. 

So let's hassle these people who others see as "takers" so Jeff Bezos can pay ZERO in taxes and Mark Zuckerberg can increase his net worth by 25% over the last year. The demonization of poor people is sickening.

@bathina   You mean Bezos and Zuckerberg who created businesses and jobs for people?  Those guys?  Why not include Bill Gates?

Nobody is demonizing poor people. You, on the other hand, seem to enjoy demonizing people who are not poor. 

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

@shoekitty  Thank you for being you. I know a few women who are representative payee for a family member on disability. 

Trusted Contributor

@Jinlei ,

I know!

What about morbidly obese people, some quite young, being on disability? Have bariatric surgery (that welfare covers), then get a job, for Pete's sake.  There are the alcoholics and drug abusers on it, too, not to mention people who have never worked one day in the US getting on it. If you don't care to help yourselves why should I have to support you? Crazy. 

dee

@Jinlei wrote:

I think the government needs to crack down on disability.  Disability for depression?  Disability for back trouble?  There are so many people on Judge Judy who are on SS disability and they look like they are healthy enough to work.  I realize there are many people who really need this.  But, I think there are a lot who just do not want to work and want the government to pay their way.  JMO

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

@Pook wrote:

There always were reviews unless the diagnosis was a lifelong disability with no chance of recovery that was well documented.

They still say they will do reviews but the intervals are much longer, I think as much as 7 years before a review.  

@Snoopp The review period for  most medical conditions is going to be made shorter. The max will change to 6 years. The lowest is 6-18 months. There are two other diaries of 2 years and 3-6 years.

You can read more about the proposed changes online.

@ MindyD posted a link. 

Trusted Contributor

Equate this issue with how employer based short term disability works. 

A provider signed form certifying the disability must be submitted every 30 days or no paycheck is cut. Period. After 90 days your job is posted. No exeptions. Trust me, you get yourself in somewhat working order if your life depends on a paycheck.

The federal suggestions are a walk in the park compared to employer paid disability recipients paperwork.

Why would anyone have a problem with the feds becoming more prudent? 

dee

Respected Contributor

@Jinlei wrote:

@bathina wrote:

@Piper54 wrote:

just google it dear, this has been on the mind of the administration for a long time, people will also have to work for food stamps. This is going to be very bad for needy people with few other options.

I believe for the most part, people aren't paying attention until something effects them. A lot of folks on disability should be panicked. They will essentially have to prove all over again that they are disabled. A scary thought for anybody on any kind of social program. 

What's even more galling is it's being done to try and close the deficit since the tax laws gave incredible advantages to the richest among us.

There are people that are on disability who shouldn't be.  Why should my tax dollars go to someone who is too lazy to work?

Sitting on my paws.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Instead of looking at what others are getting or have, why not look at what we have.  When I read some of these posts it makes me sad at the lack of compassion  or insight for those who a on disability, welfare, food stamps or such. It might be better to be be thankful that you dont have to need the services.  Dont worry about what they get.  I pay taxes for lots of things I dont use.  I dont  have kids in schooll yet  I help pay for them.  I have paid taxes on everything for over 50 years of my life.  There will always be a few that take advantage of everything.  But if it means 9 of the 10 people who receive food stamps need and appreciate them in their life it is worth it.

be thankful and not so judgemental of those in need..

i think there is a saying about walking in moccasins I could use here.  But I think the point is driven.