Reply
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,046
Registered: ‎02-02-2015

Re: Changes to Social Security Disability 2020


@Pook wrote:

There always were reviews unless the diagnosis was a lifelong disability with no chance of recovery that was well documented.


They still say they will do reviews but the intervals are much longer, I think as much as 7 years before a review.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 10,077
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Changes to Social Security Disability 2020


@Pook wrote:

There always were reviews unless the diagnosis was a lifelong disability with no chance of recovery that was well documented.


@Pook 

 

You are right.  Even with lifelong and severe mental illness, they do reviews.  I am payee for my brother who is mentally ill and in a home.  He gets 1100 a month.  I pay 1045 for boarding. They dont question me too much about the rest, but I account for 55 extra dollars.  I have to do a review every year.  Sometimes every year. My brother gets the maximum, so I cant imagine people wanting to live on disability.  

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,916
Registered: ‎03-14-2010

Re: Changes to Social Security Disability 2020

[ Edited ]

@Jinlei wrote:

I think the government needs to crack down on disability.  Disability for depression?  Disability for back trouble?  There are so many people on Judge Judy who are on SS disability and they look like they are healthy enough to work.  I realize there are many people who really need this.  But, I think there are a lot who just do not want to work and want the government to pay their way.  JMO


Since you saw it on Judge Judy, it must be true. 

Highlighted
Super Contributor
Posts: 279
Registered: ‎06-10-2015

Re: Changes to Social Security Disability 2020


@Jinlei wrote:

@bathina wrote:

@piper54 wrote:

just google it dear, this has been on the mind of the administration for a long time, people will also have to work for food stamps. This is going to be very bad for needy people with few other options.


I believe for the most part, people aren't paying attention until something effects them. A lot of folks on disability should be panicked. They will essentially have to prove all over again that they are disabled. A scary thought for anybody on any kind of social program. 

What's even more galling is it's being done to try and close the deficit since the tax laws gave incredible advantages to the richest among us.



There are people that are on disability who shouldn't be.  Why should my tax dollars go to someone who is too lazy to work?


Disability is based off an individual's work history...so how are your tax dollars going to someone who is too lazy to work?

Highlighted
Super Contributor
Posts: 270
Registered: ‎09-10-2019

Re: Changes to Social Security Disability 2020

Many people may look like they do not have a disability but that doesn't mean they are healthy. I am not on disability but I am in constant pain. I look perfectly normal. I look youthful and healthy. They are days that I have burning pain from my head to my toes. I have nerve damage. The pain can be so bad I can hardly think. But my neighbors will think I am fine. It is hard to proof with nerve damage that you have a disability. I still have to go buy groceries and do housework,I am not rich so if I was on disability I guess to some of you I would probably be cheating the government.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,390
Registered: ‎10-26-2010

Re: Changes to Social Security Disability 2020


@topcat10 wrote:



Disability is based off an individual's work history...so how are your tax dollars going to someone who is too lazy to work?


 

Not sure about details, but you may be eligible for disability benefits if your husband is deceased and he had met the required amount of credits.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 10,077
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Changes to Social Security Disability 2020

[ Edited ]

Give me a break .  There isnt a person in most states. who could live on SDI alone.  They dont allow you much of anything.  You arent ever allowed to accumulate more than 1,999 in cash.  You cannot own a car younger than 10 yrs ol.  You are not allowed to earn more than 20 bucks a month.  If you want to work, fine....but they deduct every penny from your check.  They have a way of finding out if you do earn money too.  My brother once got a refund from something and they knew.  It was for about 52 dollars, and they take it out of next check.

 

we didnt even have time to report it.  You are not allowed to own property with equity of a certain amount. The list goes on.  Being rent here is around 3,500 for a boarding home, that includes food, the cheapest rent is about 1800 for a studio in the barrio, but average rent here is about 2500 for a 1 bedroom apt,

My brother is on about 21 meds a dAy He is in a home with 36 other patients.  He sHares a 10 by 10 room with another gentlman. I pay all but 55 bucks of his check on rent.  Even at that the state has to pit h in to cover the rest as he needs care.  He is deaf in one ear, partial hearing in the other yet he is not allowed a hearing aid covered by medical.  If I buy it I have to go through a special process which they never get right, and usually discontinue his check for a while until straightened out.  They think he bought the hearing aid, and he is not allowed to have that money.  Lol. No kidding.

 

so as I said, the disability system is not only hard and a long process...it is beyond me how anyone could live or want to live on that money.  It is a lot of work for 1100 a month. they talk to the doctors.  So its not like you get a form fill it out and they will except it.

 

 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,527
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Changes to Social Security Disability 2020

Add food stamps, subsidized housing, food banks,  “soup kitchens,”Medicaid. They get what they need.  

 

The amount they get may be based on their work history, but not the money they Govternmget. And those who have never worked…I don’t know how their amount is determined.

 

 It’s tax money. 

*********************
Keepin' it real.
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,232
Registered: ‎05-21-2010

Re: Changes to Social Security Disability 2020


@shoekitty wrote:

Give me a break .  There isnt a person in most states. who could live on SDI alone.  They dont allow you much of anything.  You arent ever allowed to accumulate more than 1,999 in cash.  You cannot own a car younger than 10 yrs ol.  You are not allowed to earn more than 20 bucks a month.  If you want to work, fine....but they deduct every penny from your check.  They have a way of finding out if you do earn money too.  My brother once got a refund from something and they knew.  It was for about 52 dollars, and they take it out of next check.

 

we didnt even have time to report it.  You are not allowed to own property with equity of a certain amount. The list goes on.  Being rent here is around 3,500 for a boarding home, that includes food, the cheapest rent is about 1800 for a studio in the barrio, but average rent here is about 2500 for a 1 bedroom apt,

My brother is on about 21 meds a dAy He is in a home with 36 other patients.  He sHares a 10 by 10 room with another gentlman. I pay all but 55 bucks of his check on rent.  Even at that the state has to pit h in to cover the rest as he needs care.  He is deaf in one ear, partial hearing in the other yet he is not allowed a hearing aid covered by medical.  If I buy it I have to go through a special process which they never get right, and usually discontinue his check for a while until straightened out.  They think he bought the hearing aid, and he is not allowed to have that money.  Lol. No kidding.

 

so as I said, the disability system is not only hard and a long process...it is beyond me how anyone could live or want to live on that money.  It is a lot of work for 1100 a month. they talk to the doctors.  So its not like you get a form fill it out and they will except it.

@shoekitty  I believe you are confusing Social Security disablity with SSI disability. Social Security and Medicare are not means tested and do not count one's property or resources in determining eligibility. On the other hand SSI does as it is a tax payer funded benefit as is Medicaid. 


 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,916
Registered: ‎03-14-2010

Re: Changes to Social Security Disability 2020


@carrie ann wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

Give me a break .  There isnt a person in most states. who could live on SDI alone.  They dont allow you much of anything.  You arent ever allowed to accumulate more than 1,999 in cash.  You cannot own a car younger than 10 yrs ol.  You are not allowed to earn more than 20 bucks a month.  If you want to work, fine....but they deduct every penny from your check.  They have a way of finding out if you do earn money too.  My brother once got a refund from something and they knew.  It was for about 52 dollars, and they take it out of next check.

 

we didnt even have time to report it.  You are not allowed to own property with equity of a certain amount. The list goes on.  Being rent here is around 3,500 for a boarding home, that includes food, the cheapest rent is about 1800 for a studio in the barrio, but average rent here is about 2500 for a 1 bedroom apt,

My brother is on about 21 meds a dAy He is in a home with 36 other patients.  He sHares a 10 by 10 room with another gentlman. I pay all but 55 bucks of his check on rent.  Even at that the state has to pit h in to cover the rest as he needs care.  He is deaf in one ear, partial hearing in the other yet he is not allowed a hearing aid covered by medical.  If I buy it I have to go through a special process which they never get right, and usually discontinue his check for a while until straightened out.  They think he bought the hearing aid, and he is not allowed to have that money.  Lol. No kidding.

 

so as I said, the disability system is not only hard and a long process...it is beyond me how anyone could live or want to live on that money.  It is a lot of work for 1100 a month. they talk to the doctors.  So its not like you get a form fill it out and they will except it.

@shoekitty  I believe you are confusing Social Security disablity with SSI disability. Social Security and Medicare are not means tested and do not count one's property or resources in determining eligibility. On the other hand SSI does as it is a tax payer funded benefit as is Medicaid. 


 


So let's hassle these people who others see as "takers" so Jeff Bezos can pay ZERO in taxes and Mark Zuckerberg can increase his net worth by 25% over the last year. The demonization of poor people is sickening.