Honored Contributor

Re: Changes to Social Security Disability 2020

@esmerelda wrote:

@RetRN  Wow. I think that’s out of character for you. Hope your day gets better. 

Might have been out of character, but needed said. Especially after several places were listed as to where to see the information. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Piper54 wrote:

just google it dear, this has been on the mind of the administration for a long time, people will also have to work for food stamps. This is going to be very bad for needy people with few other options.

It's about combating fraud, and requiring people who can at least provide partially for themselves, to indeed do so. Both are necessary. The social programs in this country are huge and all see some level of fraud. Definitely needs addressed, to ensure funds for those in real need.

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Piper54 wrote:

just google it dear, this has been on the mind of the administration for a long time, people will also have to work for food stamps. This is going to be very bad for needy people with few other options.

It's about combating fraud, and requiring people who can at least provide partially for themselves, to indeed do so. Both are necessary. The social programs in this country are huge and all see some level of fraud. Definitely needs addressed, to ensure funds for those in real need.

Is there much fraud in obtaining a disability check? Don't people have to qualify for it to begin with? Do you have the stats on disability fraud vs tax fraud or Medicare fraud?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I know a woman who was healthy and working (office job). And after her ex-husband died, it was determined...she was disabled. The only thing she doesn’t do now that she did before is work. 

I know a man...have for decades...who has never worked, always been disabled. He’s done some work in hotels or restaurants...laundry, dishwashing...never for the money, just to help out, have something to do.  So if he can do it for free, how is he too “disabled” to do it for money?

If everyone not disabled had to write a monthly check specifically to the disability fund, there would be more interest in seeing and stopping fraud. 

Keepin' it real.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think the government needs to crack down on disability.  Disability for depression?  Disability for back trouble?  There are so many people on Judge Judy who are on SS disability and they look like they are healthy enough to work.  I realize there are many people who really need this.  But, I think there are a lot who just do not want to work and want the government to pay their way.  JMO

Trusted Contributor

@bathina wrote:

@Piper54 wrote:

I believe for the most part, people aren't paying attention until something effects them. A lot of folks on disability should be panicked. They will essentially have to prove all over again that they are disabled. A scary thought for anybody on any kind of social program. 

What's even more galling is it's being done to try and close the deficit since the tax laws gave incredible advantages to the richest among us.

There are people that are on disability who shouldn't be.  Why should my tax dollars go to someone who is too lazy to work?

Honored Contributor

I’ll be adding links for you. Since I’m on a phone, I’ll be doing one per text box. https://www.forbes.com/sites/sarahkim/2019/12/17/trump-administrations-proposed-ssdi-policy-change/a...
Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
  • @Nuttmeg  Could you copy the link below and add it to your OP, please. THIS IS WHAT IS ACTUALY BEING PROPOSED AND WHY. There’s way too much speculation and erroneous assumptions in this thread. People just guessing about this proposal. THIS IS THE ACTUAL PROPOSAL. Just one thing proposed is checking of those receiving benefits whose disability is designated as possibly going to improve to see if they have improved and no longer need benefits. It’s time people read, instead of guess. It’s here on this page in black and white. Thanks for your post. 

Here is what you are all looking for

Rules Regarding the Frequency and Notice of Continuing Disability Reviews
Federal Register

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2019/11/18/2019-24700/rules-regarding-the-frequency-and-no...

Honored Contributor

When I filed for SS Disability with a lawyer it did take over a year to come through.  I thought I was going to end up sleeping in my car (that was several years ago).  It finally was approved but when you turn 66 you are taken off disability and placed on social security.

kindness is strength