Respected Contributor

Re: Cell phone tracking apps

A marriage without trust is no marriage at all.  Just a sham relationship.

Honored Contributor

Uh. Noooooooooo

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Esteemed Contributor

I would never consider such a thing, but I'm not really surprised that it's popular with the 20-30 year olds.  They do a lot of things I'd never consider doing.  LOL  

Super Contributor

@ValuSkr

Find My Friends only accesses your contacts list. You send that person a request.

If they accept it, when you open the app the top half of the screen shows a map and your location, the bottom are the contacts you can find. When you tap the friend the whole screen shows a map and their contact ID photo over the last place they were when it updated...it updates every 5 mins or so, or you can tap to update. It's not always precise, but more of a general placement. 

They have to send you a request to follow you. 

You can also find a contact you are texting. Just tap the (i) in the upper right corner, if they are allowing you to know their location the same satellite map comes up. You both can turn it on or off at anytime, and it doesn't have a invite action like Find My Friends, instead you just ask in a text or ask them however you like to turn it on. 

Either way, you control who sees your location. 

With Glympse, they send you an invite to follow them for a set time, usually for an hour... but they decide. It is real time gps. Once it expires, their location isn't available. 

Honored Contributor

I have friends that use it and it's more of a joke/toy to them.  They aren't using it to spy or keep track of their spouse because they don't trust them.   These same friends also have it on their kids' phones. 

We have security cameras on our house and DH and I can check them from our phones.  There have been times I've been lounging on the back deck and I'll get a text from DH jokingly telling me to pull some weeds while I'm out there rather than just sitting there.   LOL    

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Can a person choose not to be tracked?  Or is everyone with a smartphone fair game, provided the phone's turned on?

In the case of my friends who have it, they both had to download the app to their phone and both of their kids had to have the app dowloaded so I would think you'd know.

I do know someone who put a tracker in his wife's (now ex-wife) car to track her because he suspected she was having an affair.  She had no idea that tracker was in her car and it had nothing to do with her cellphone. 

Honored Contributor

I never use mine to track my dh. My kids have this app and so do I. I use it to make sure they get to work on bad weather days. Its a godsend on those days! We all have been using these apps for many years. Love it!

"Pure Michigan"
Trusted Contributor

My family uses,'Life 360'. We don't use it for spying. I used it when my son was driving for Uber, when my SIL was dating, when I travel alone.It's also helpful when you lose your phone. The person being, 'tracked' can turn off the tracking feature. If I had teen agers, I would definitely want to know where they were. Of course, it only tracks the phone-not the person. So, little Susie could have someone take her phone to the library for a couple of hours while she went out with her boyfriend and Mom wouldn't know! LOL!

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

Today at work several women were comparing "monitoring apps' that they use to track the movement/location of their spouses.

I was amazed at how common this seemed to be amongst the 20-30 year olds.  They looked at me (40+ age range) like I was a nut for not using such an app to monitor my spouse.

I told them it never had the need or desire to not trust my spouse.

Do you use such app to track your spouse or kids?? 

Did they tell you it was because they didn't trust their husbands or did you assume that was why they used the apps? I wouldn't use tracking apps to bust someone I didn't trurst, but there plenty of safety reasons for checking someone's location. My friend is attending Baylor University and they had a lockdown on campus after someone shot another guy just off campus. Anyone with a tracker could check to see if loved ones were on that end of campus or the other side, because people in classrooms aren't going to be answering phones and might not text back if everything is fine. You'd still worry if your loved one was in the trouble spot, but a lot of people would be able to feel better sooner.