Respected Contributor

Today at work several women were comparing "monitoring apps' that they use to track the movement/location of their spouses.

I was amazed at how common this seemed to be amongst the 20-30 year olds.  They looked at me (40+ age range) like I was a nut for not using such an app to monitor my spouse.

I told them it never had the need or desire to not trust my spouse.

Do you use such app to track your spouse or kids?? 

Honored Contributor

Re: Cell phone tracking apps

No , nor do I have a cell phone. I don't see the need for one, nor do I text, and I am doing jus fine

Trusted Contributor

I temporarily had a tracking type app on my cellphone while my grandsons stayed with us for two weeks.  Their parents were on an extended business trip/vacation.  It was my son's idea since he knows how much I would worry about the boys. It was great for my peace of mind. I would never use it to track anyone else. 

Respected Contributor

Creepy!  If you have to track your spouse, might as well throw in the towel. What kind of marriage is that?

Super Contributor

I use the "Find My Friends" built in app on both my iPod...

I use the "Find My Friends" built in app on both my iPod Touch and iPhone. I don't use it to spy. My sister lives 4 hrs away, and I like to know where she is before I text her. If she's driving or at work I wait. I do keep an eye on her when she's out at the beach or boating. I'll chime in if it's been a while (hrs) since she last checked in. She likes it. Like someone there, though I'm not.

If she's driving up here or going to FL (we're in SC) we use Glympse. It's real time gps. That way I don't have to text or call to know where she is on the trip, or to have an idea of how long it will be. She has to send me the invite to watch. It expires after a time that she sets. She has used it before when going out with friends, that way I know her exact location in case something should happen.
Respected Contributor

The question then becomes, are the husbands monitoring their wives using the same tools?

Seriously, though, I don't think this is a matter of trust as much as a game using a cool toy.  "Oh, look!  He's at the gas station!"

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

We don't use it on our phones, but we have former neighbors that use it on theirs.  It was funny when one would be at the house and tell us the other one was "coming around the stop sign now" and would be here in a minute.   He loved telling us where she was.  It was a "toy" for him.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

Can a person choose not to be tracked?  Or is everyone with a smartphone fair game, provided the phone's turned on?

Respected Contributor

The more of this sort of thing I hear about, the happier I am that I have chosen not to be a part of that world.  I couldn't care less where anyone else (besides me) is at any given time.  I have better things to do than play on a phone.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

The question then becomes, are the husbands monitoring their wives using the same tools?

Seriously, though, I don't think this is a matter of trust as much as a game using a cool toy.  "Oh, look!  He's at the gas station!"

Yes!  My husband worked at a company where both owners had GPS installed on their wives cars and didn't tell them.  They just "borrowed" the car for the day and had it installed.