Respected Contributor

I'm going off topic, but still addressing veggie shortages . . .

This is usually the best time all year in FL for local corn, and it is usually really delicious.

The corn I have bought twice so far this season does not taste fresh at all.  Maybe there has been a crop failure here for corn.

Honored Contributor

@Burnsite   I purchased corn twice.  Even though it is still early, I took a chance.  It was really sweet and fresh and the ears were huge...White and yellow varigated

I paid $4 for 6 ears. Before that is was selling for $1.25 each and I didn't buy.

Respected Contributor

My area has ample fresh and frozen cauliflower.  

Respected Contributor

Hi, Carmie,  The ears tasted old and were also stunted at my Publix--about 5 inches long. Maybe they just couldn't get the FL corn and brought some in from further away.  Ah, well.  I'll just have to go up North when the corn season is on up there.

Honored Contributor

I haven't been able to find organic red grapes for about 3 months now.  I check several different grocery stores in 3 different states (PA included).  Plenty of conventional available, but I want organic.

I also noticed that the baby brussel sprouts were huge.  I don't want huge.  I wonder if they couldn't find *pickers* to pluck them off before they got big.  I have a habit of feeling the sprouts inside the bags now to make sure they are 'petite'.

Had a heck of a time for almost 2 years finding frozen organic asparagus.  Now I can get it, but it's about $7 for a rather small package (Woodstock).  

But I'll get what I can get when I can get it.

Cauliflower is available at the Jersey shore, come on down!

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm   I love to visit NJ.  My parents had a second house there in Cape May County and I spent a lot of time there when I was a kid and before I was married.

Would I visit for cauliflower? Heck yes.  That's a good excuse as any.  I have plans on visiting in September right after Labor Day.  I can't wait.

BTW, I just got some red organic grapes at Costco.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Lucky Charm   I love to visit NJ.  My parents had a second house there in Cape May County and I spent a lot of time there when I was a kid and before I was married.

Would I visit for cauliflower? Heck yes.  That's a good excuse as any.  I have plans on visiting in September right after Labor Day.  I can't wait.

BTW, I just got some red organic grapes at Costco.

@Carmie 

I'm in Cape May County.  One thing we don't have is a Costco close by.   Or a Whole Foods.  Or a Trader Joe's.  !!!

So for being the Garden State, I'm not finding any farmer's markets that sell organic produce. 

I'm stuck with Acmes or out of town ShopRites.  And FYI, Acme's canned crab meat is from CHINA.  Can you imagine?

I travel to PA (Glen Mills) for Whole Foods and a nearby Trader Joe's in DE.

I'm going to start my own organic garden here this week.  Wish me luck!

And p.s. I'd love to have you come visit!

Trusted Contributor

Small towner here....we don't have Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and organic fruits and veggies are limited to a few bins at the local Walmart or grocery store.  Good thing it is spring, the farmer's markets will be coming soon, as will our own gardens.

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)
Esteemed Contributor

not a problem fir me , hate cauliflower 😝