Esteemed Contributor

@SXMGirl  While your letter is obviously well-written, I think you should just say what happened without getting into details.  Stating to the vet that you have no idea how she wants to handle this is putting her on the spot and sort of expecting her to do something.   I think she will probably try to do something without it being suggested.  

Just state you won the bid, told the donor a couple of times when you would like to use the beach house and are now being told it is leased for the winter (which I agree with several others...October is now winter).

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Esteemed Contributor

@SXMGirl 

I've not read all the responses but....

I own a small B&B and often donate stays here to local animal rescues.  In the donation info, I stipulate that they have to use the donation within a year.  If they call for a reservation and I'm booked I will extend the time they have to claim their stay.  

This year especially, I got two calls from folks who had won bids at local silent auctions for a visit to our Cottage.  I told them we are not taking any visitors until 2021, and probably late in the year. 

I gave the bidders additional time to use their stay.

It's unfortunate that there wasn't better communication with the vendor, but it's very likely the Vet may not have paid attention to what the vendor was offering. 

Honored Contributor

I would tell mom, dad, and doc at the same time.  I would request a meeting with them, state what happened in a very neutral voice and words.  Then let them decide.

Im not real positive but I think what the vendor did is illegal.

That vendor is not trustworthy or honest.

@SXMGirl 

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

Re: Cancelled Vacation

[ Edited ]

@SXMGirl 

I realize that you are upset and disappointed about these events, I would be too.

However, I would write a softer note to your vet.  As she is a member of your community, and your vet, she will no doubt be concerned, unhappy, and likely a bit embarrassed about your experience.  Honestly, as I read it, your letter sounds a bit judgemental of her.

Personally I would just tell her that you wanted her to know what happened and briefly describe your experience.  I would leave out any 'you' remarks about her/him, and just focus on the 'I', you and what happened, and I would not mention the employee, or the parents.

My mentor taught me the Polite, Annoyed, Nasty system of dealing with problems.  Always start out kindly, and with concern for the other party, giving them plenty of room to explain their side.  You can always escalate to the other two levels if you decide to, but deescalating is very difficult.

These are just my quick thoughts, sent with best intentions, and no harm intended.

Best to you.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

Yeah...what ^^^^ said

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Esteemed Contributor

@happycat wrote:

@MamaWick wrote:

This business/vendor is getting a tax break for her donation.  Maybe you should ask her the amount she is declaring for her donation?  Maybe that will get her thinking about her fraud I mentioned above.

Well, duh! I didn't even think about that. You are absolutely right!

I would think that there are tax implications for the OP as well.  Technically, she is supposed to deduct the value of the benefit when reporting her charitable donations.  The tax receipt ideally would break this out.  Will something like this really ever get caught?  Probably very unlikely.  But, it's what's supposed to be done, so would be best to match the tax receipt. Not sure what her receipt says, particularly when she mentions the vet is young and not very business minded. But, if there is a potential tax issue, it probably could be included in her note to the vet.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cancelled Vacation

[ Edited ]

Thanks everyone!  I am going to start by contacting the vendor again and ask her for dates starting next September and into October. Barring a pandemic, epidemic, hurricane, earthquake, tornado, or evacuation at the beach, we should be able to agree on several dates, preferable in October so that I can bring the dogs onto the boardwalk.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:

@happycat wrote:

@MamaWick wrote:

This business/vendor is getting a tax break for her donation.  Maybe you should ask her the amount she is declaring for her donation?  Maybe that will get her thinking about her fraud I mentioned above.

Well, duh! I didn't even think about that. You are absolutely right!

I would think that there are tax implications for the OP as well.  Technically, she is supposed to deduct the value of the benefit when reporting her charitable donations.  The tax receipt ideally would break this out.  Will something like this really ever get caught?  Probably very unlikely.  But, it's what's supposed to be done, so would be best to match the tax receipt. Not sure what her receipt says, particularly when she mentions the vet is young and not very business minded. But, if there is a potential tax issue, it probably could be included in her note to the vet.

@Alter Ego, what you said is correct. When people make a donation and report it as a charitable donation, it is not legal to claim it as a tax deduction if they receive a gift, a service, a prize or anything.Winning an auction for the rent-free use of a beach house is a good example. As far as the people who donated the item, vacation, etc. but don't provide it, are illegally claiming it as a charitable donation tax deduction. 

Respected Contributor

@SXMGirl 

The people who won't accommodate you as stated for the beach vacation are way out of line. They are cheating on their taxes if they claim it is a tax deductible donation but don't award it. In your case if you just drop it and don't take the prize, you can claim what you paid as a charitable donation. The charity will benefit. As others said here, the vet who arranged the auction should be told what is going on. Also, I wouldn't book something way off in the future. A lot of things can happen in yours or the owner's situation that could prevent using the beach house.