Esteemed Contributor

Back in February, our veterinarian held the first fundraiser for her animal charity.  There were many items, and I bid on the off-season beach vacation since it was just about an hour from home.  I emailed the vendor, who I believe is a friend of an employee of the vet, and told her that it would be October.  That appeared to be fine with her.

So, the other day, I emailed her and asked her to give me some dates in October.  She tells me that she rents the house out for the winter.  I have to say that I am annoyed.  I do not mind the donation to the vet, but I feel like this was actually the plan.

I am trying to decide whether to just let it go and be glad that the charity got the money, or discuss this with the vet.  She cannot do anything about this; but, if she has another charity event, she should not accept a "donation" from this vendor.  Even though our vet is well educated, she is young and not exactly a business person.  Her parents run the show at the office.  I really do not believe that the vet would understand that this is not ok.

Just venting here.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

As a small business owner, I would value your candor with me.  Your word if your bond.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cancelled Vacation

[ Edited ]

You need to get all over that.  In my estimation, it borders on fraud and deception. 

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like your Vet is caught in the middle and the owner of the beach place is either no business woman or playing games knowing Oct it was already spoken for.

Unless it's hundreds of dollars lost  - I'd forget about................and....not get involved again.

Life has many Lessons!

Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

Back in February, our veterinarian held the first fundraiser for her animal charity.  There were many items, and I bid on the off-season beach vacation since it was just about an hour from home.  I emailed the vendor, who I believe is a friend of an employee of the vet, and told her that it would be October.  That appeared to be fine with her.

So, the other day, I emailed her and asked her to give me some dates in October.  She tells me that she rents the house out for the winter.  I have to say that I am annoyed.  I do not mind the donation to the vet, but I feel like this was actually the plan.

I am trying to decide whether to just let it go and be glad that the charity got the money, or discuss this with the vet.  She cannot do anything about this; but, if she has another charity event, she should not accept a "donation" from this vendor.  Even though our vet is well educated, she is young and not exactly a business person.  Her parents run the show at the office.  I really do not believe that the vet would understand that this is not ok.

Just venting here.

@SXMGirl I don't know where this beach is located so I'm assuming it will be cold in the winter since you don't want it then.  Around here everything closes up at the Jersey shore and the beach is a bleak place over the winter...some people like the quiet.

Just wondering why when you first got in touch with them and you mentioned October it was okay but now it's not?

Trusted Contributor

@SXMGirl   I think I would mention this to the vet ~ You will feel better getting it off your chest ~

Maybe the vendor will "make it right" ~ I hope.

Esteemed Contributor

@haddon9  I actually messaged her several times in the spring.  Because this house is pet friendly, I had no plans to sit on the beach, even though I have been to the beach in October when it was in the 80's and the water was perfect.  I am in Delaware.  

Anyway, I was specific that it would be in October.  Never did she mention that she rented the house out for the entire winter.  Had I known that, especially since she was specific that it could not be during season (of course), I would never have bid on the house.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

@MamaWick wrote:

You need to get all over that.  In my estimation, it borders on fraud and deception. 

I would certainly inform the vet so they didn't trust this person again. As far as bordering on fraud and deception I believe it is fraud and deceptive. Sounds like she wanted to be a big shot helping the fundraiser but never really intended to pony up with the prize. 

Respected Contributor

Did you give her dates in October when you first contacted her? Or did you just give her "October"? It sound like you did the latter instead of the former.

And if you did the latter, why would you wait until almost October to get in contact with her again?

Esteemed Contributor

It is really not between you and the vet. The issue at hand is between you and the vendor. I see no benefit from involving your vet. I would recommend that you go ahead and book a time for the beach house much later on (presumably in 2021). That way, you will still end up getting something out of it beyond just the donation to a good cause.