Esteemed Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

If you are unhappy with a product they credit your account. I never dock my tip because an item isn't available. They are working with the inventory on hand. 

Possibly. Or, they could just ignore you. I've had both reactions from them. 

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

If you are unhappy with a product they credit your account. I never dock my tip because an item isn't available. They are working with the inventory on hand. 

I haven't had that experience and myself. 

Honored Contributor

Looks like most here have good experiences with Instacart, but since I prefer to pick out my own groceries I'll let whoever it was wanted my spot have it.  

I was just relaying a bad experience that showed up on the news.  I found the idea that you couldn't hold the company responsible troubling.  I didn't come up with that.  It was reported on the news segment.  They didn't say if the lady got her money back.  I also have no idea how well they check out potential employees. 

Valued Contributor

@Carmie  I had wondered about that, if people were going through and removing their tips. I usually tip a little through the online order and then give cash in an evelope as well. My reasoning was I actually wasn't sure that InstaCart (the company) really did release the full amount of the tip we pay online.

I would be "ok" with InstaCart locking that change tip feature during this pandemic. I also wish there was a way you could request a certain shopper. Some really go above and beyond more than others--as it is in any business. 

I know I am very grateful that they are out there and enabling me to stay home with less exposure. Also really appreciate this forum because it was a poster here that first alerted me to their services (can't remember who it was). Then @SilleeMee tried it and posted it was successful for her so I figured ok that's two people that are using it and happy lol.....I've been using it ever since.

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Valued Contributor

I used it for the first time this week also. I tried it because of positive comments made in these forums.

Although I prefer shopping myself, under these crazy circumstances I was pleased and grateful that I didn't have to go out. 
It took a long time to do my order online and not everything was available but I appreciate "shopping" along with the shopper so I could make some substitutions. The shopper texted me when he started and as he shopped. It took 1 1/2 hours and he arrived exactly on time and left bags by my door. 
I tipped as though I was in a restaurant.

We used gloves and wiped down everything.

I would use them again.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Can't Trust Instacart

[ Edited ]

@GenXmuse wrote:

@x Hedge wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

I haven't had that experience and myself. 

@GenXmuse  I have not either.  When I email them

about an issue they always reply within a few hours

and have been generous in resolving the problem.

We have to keep in mind they are stressed too right now with everyone wanting home delivery and scarcity on the shelves on top of it all.  I feel sorry for the workers having to constantly text about all the items they can't give you on the order.  It's not an easy job.

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

I have never used Instacart, but there was a segment on our local news last night about a lady who ordered $200 worth of groceries and never received her order.  On top of that, they said that part of the terms of service is that you do not hold Instacart responsible for anything that goes wrong.  

Don't think I'll be using that service.

I just placed my first order with them about an hour ago.  Fingers crossed.

Honored Contributor

Why the sudden hostility?  If you don't like, don't use it.

Esteemed Contributor

I tried the chat while the Instacart guy was shopping but he didn’t answer.  I am not sure he spoke English.  One thing he did was buy ice cream first on the list which was dumb, since it melted by the time he was finished. 

Honored Contributor

Luckily, a midwest chain is offering free delivery to people over age 60 and at risk.  I haven't had to go shopping for several weeks now.