Honored Contributor

Re: Can't Trust Instacart

[ Edited ]

@bunnygirlbrem wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@x Hedge wrote:

@Carmie, our deliveries are prescheduled, there's no possible way to "skip to the front of the line" by offering a big tip.

@karabeth , I adjusted my tip after delivery for the first time last Saturday.  30% of my order wasn't available, had to throw out half the bananas, and the delivery style necessitated far more pre-cleaning than I'd anticipated.

As I expected, I'm in the middle of the "hottest" COVID-19 spot (zip), in the hottest city, in the hottest county in my state.

Instacart is responsible for training their employees in observing mitigating behaviour during the delivery. Why the heck do they think we're using their service?

From the article, it appears the shoppers can accept to pick up your order or not.  If the tip is large, they will be eager to accept your order.

i have never used this service.  When I tried to, delivery was promised 10 days in to the future.  Way too long for me to wait.

D9D39503-8194-44BF-9418-1214EE7C6236.jpeg

@Carmie 

It looks like CNN didnt relay all the facts..no mention that they do get an hourly wage in addition to their tips....

For Instacart personal shoppers, the pay is around $11 to $17 per hour. For the store shopper — who doesn't drive out to make deliveries — the average wage comes in at about $13.50. Lastly, the delivery driver is said to make around $15 per hour.Mar 30, 2020

The article actually did (kind of) mention that they make an hourly wage. Look at the very top line of the screenshot you posted, where it says she ended up making $8.95 from the order. The previous sentence (not on the screenshot) says that the entire tip was deleted -- and then she ended up making $8.95.

@bunnygirlbrem 

I didnt post that screen shot I copied the previous conversation. Please read what I posted from the Instacart site itself...They get paid an hourly wage from a minmum of $11 to $17 an hour depending on the state, so how could she make $8.95 on an order when the minimum is $11 ?!?!??!?!?  Is the shopper averaging out her total orders for the week and coming up with her own total?????

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@bunnygirlbrem wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@x Hedge wrote:

@Carmie, our deliveries are prescheduled, there's no possible way to "skip to the front of the line" by offering a big tip.

@karabeth , I adjusted my tip after delivery for the first time last Saturday.  30% of my order wasn't available, had to throw out half the bananas, and the delivery style necessitated far more pre-cleaning than I'd anticipated.

As I expected, I'm in the middle of the "hottest" COVID-19 spot (zip), in the hottest city, in the hottest county in my state.

Instacart is responsible for training their employees in observing mitigating behaviour during the delivery. Why the heck do they think we're using their service?

From the article, it appears the shoppers can accept to pick up your order or not.  If the tip is large, they will be eager to accept your order.

i have never used this service.  When I tried to, delivery was promised 10 days in to the future.  Way too long for me to wait.

@Carmie 

It looks like CNN didnt relay all the facts..no mention that they do get an hourly wage in addition to their tips....

For Instacart personal shoppers, the pay is around $11 to $17 per hour. For the store shopper — who doesn't drive out to make deliveries — the average wage comes in at about $13.50. Lastly, the delivery driver is said to make around $15 per hour.Mar 30, 2020

The article actually did (kind of) mention that they make an hourly wage. Look at the very top line of the screenshot you posted, where it says she ended up making $8.95 from the order. The previous sentence (not on the screenshot) says that the entire tip was deleted -- and then she ended up making $8.95.

@bunnygirlbrem   The tip is on my receipt.

Frequent Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@bunnygirlbrem wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@x Hedge wrote:

@Carmie 

@bunnygirlbrem 

I didnt post that screen shot I copied the previous conversation. Please read what I posted from the Instacart site itself...They get paid an hourly wage from a minmum of $11 to $17 an hour depending on the state, so how could she make $8.95 on an order when the minimum is $11 ?!?!??!?!?  Is the shopper averaging out her total orders for the week and coming up with her own total?????

Wasn't it you who said that CNN didn't relay all the facts? That's why I said that actually CNN did state that the shopper made money. I think she made $8.95 because she didn't work for an entire hour. 

Also, you didn't state that you got that info from the Instacart site. At least, I don't think you did. Wow, I apologize for upsetting you. 

Regular Contributor

@Icegoddess  Thank you for posting the link. I want to post of couple of comments based on my personal experiences. I've been using Instacart exclusively for groceries for over a year (and restaurant delivery services for far longer). I'm sure it varies by region. But overall, I'm very impressed.

First the Costco page (shown in the video) CLEARLY states "Powered by Instacart." Costco page is very clear. I get it. Many people may never had heard of Instacart. Bottom line her not knowing is a "reason." I think it's safe to say we've all made a decision based on our assumptions. That's just something us humans do sometimes.

Now as to the driver being several miles away...there's not enough info to even hazzard a guess. Drivers for all the delivery services use online maps to assist them. I'm not sure if the drivers pick which one to use or the company provides map access to them. It could be a similar street name. In any case, the maps several local companies use tell the driver to deliver my items to the next street over. I've had more than one call from lost drivers ("I'm in someone's backyard. How do I get to your place?"). More than one driver has told me that the maps aren't always right. One suggested I make a note in the delivery instructions. I've been thanked more than once by drivers who had checked that box. Now I normally watch the delivery tracking and wait for "the call" when I see they're on the wrong street.

Another thought is that we're in a unique time right now. These companies are all adding many new employees in a short period. Some of them are not going to have the best qualificatons for this type of job. They may not have the best personality for dealing with the public. They may not know much about food and cooking, etc. Some commmunicate far more than others. I normally track on my computer and can see what is being refunded/substituted. I also now choose an acceptable substitute, or do not substitute, when ordering. The computer suggested substitutions are sometimes rediculous.

Honored Contributor

Re: Can't Trust Instacart

[ Edited ]

@bunnygirlbrem wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@bunnygirlbrem wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@x Hedge wrote:

@Carmie 

@bunnygirlbrem 

Wasn't it you who said that CNN didn't relay all the facts? That's why I said that actually CNN did state that the shopper made money. I think she made $8.95 because she didn't work for an entire hour. 

Also, you didn't state that you got that info from the Instacart site. At least, I don't think you did. Wow, I apologize for upsetting you. 

@bunnygirlbrem 

The full scoop---

The Instacart pay structure is comprised of several factors that total each batch payment. Included in this calculation are variables like how many items are in each batch, how difficult each item is to shop for (think of heavy items), how far away the drop-off destination is, batch incentives, quality bonuses, peak boosts, and customer tips.

Instacart is factoring in details like paying more for heavy items — like bulky cases of water — and the number of items in each order. Instacart uses a “Batch Incentive”  which is a base pay calculation of each order based on the factors mentioned above.

The distance shoppers must drive is also factored into a batch fare. The shopper is compensated $0.60 per mile  driven from the local grocery store to the drop-off location. This figure is not the same in every market, as each city has its own unique mile rate.

Shoppers will also be awarded a few different bonuses as well as 100 percent of customer tips they earn.

• Quality Bonus: This is a bonus for every five-star review you receive
    • Example: Earn $2 for every five-star review that you earn
  • Peak Boost: This is a bonus drivers receive when they drive during periods of high demand

Instacart also proactively reaches out to any shoppers that may have been paid unfairly,

like $0.80 for completing a batch delivery. Any batch payments that fall under the $10 threshold will be supplemented with additional payment from Instacart to meet this minimum.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@juperier3 wrote:

@Icegoddess  Thank you for posting the link. I want to post of couple of comments based on my personal experiences. I've been using Instacart exclusively for groceries for over a year (and restaurant delivery services for far longer). I'm sure it varies by region. But overall, I'm very impressed.

First the Costco page (shown in the video) CLEARLY states "Powered by Instacart." Costco page is very clear. I get it. Many people may never had heard of Instacart. Bottom line her not knowing is a "reason." I think it's safe to say we've all made a decision based on our assumptions. That's just something us humans do sometimes.

Now as to the driver being several miles away...there's not enough info to even hazzard a guess. Drivers for all the delivery services use online maps to assist them. I'm not sure if the drivers pick which one to use or the company provides map access to them. It could be a similar street name. In any case, the maps several local companies use tell the driver to deliver my items to the next street over. I've had more than one call from lost drivers ("I'm in someone's backyard. How do I get to your place?"). More than one driver has told me that the maps aren't always right. One suggested I make a note in the delivery instructions. I've been thanked more than once by drivers who had checked that box. Now I normally watch the delivery tracking and wait for "the call" when I see they're on the wrong street.

Another thought is that we're in a unique time right now. These companies are all adding many new employees in a short period. Some of them are not going to have the best qualificatons for this type of job. They may not have the best personality for dealing with the public. They may not know much about food and cooking, etc. Some commmunicate far more than others. I normally track on my computer and can see what is being refunded/substituted. I also now choose an acceptable substitute, or do not substitute, when ordering. The computer suggested substitutions are sometimes rediculous.

@juperier3 

Well said....and I do what you do, I have my preferred replacements indicated for all items or which ones I dont want replaced.....

Esteemed Contributor

I have used Wal Mart now for several months...even before the pandemic.  I have not had any issues!!  I do specify on my order those items that can be substituted  and those that can not.  Check to see if you have this service in your area.  Last time I ordered, I did have to wait three days - checking quite often -  to get a time and date slot....