Esteemed Contributor

Re: COnsumer Reports Grocery Store survey

THe story was on a web site called. CHeatSheet.com

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

I found the complete list of grocery stores rated by Consumer Reports, from the top at 1 to the bottom at 68.  This was the 2015 report, I can't find a report after that except for a short comment that Wegman's is number 1 again this year.

Walmart was at 67.

The top three were:

1. Wegman's

2. Publix

3. Trader Joe's

Now what I'd like to see is a market basket of the same items comparing prices in all of these stores.  I know Wegman's and Trader Joe's are very high.  I'm not familiar with prices in the others. 

Wegman's prices aren't high - as long as you stick to the basics. The Power Energy bowls (my favorite dinners) are $7-$15 EACH. The prepared foods are soooo tempting and your bill can get real big real fast...for for basics, the prices are actually lower than TOPS.

Trader Joes is one of the most affordable places to shop in upstate NY. 

TOPS main problem, IMO, is their decor. The floors are usually large white tiles. With all the snow we have here - followed by mud season - the floors are always filthy. I had those same 1980's tiles in my little kitchen - and it was a constant struggle to keep them looking nice (when I remodeled, I switched to tiles that look like green slate).

Respected Contributor

I've not heard of half of these.  I swear not that long ago Consumer Reports had an article of the best and worst.  The best were what you would expect - Wegmans, Harris Teeter, Kroger and a few others I'd not heard of.  I have no problem shopping for food at Walmart but with a caveat - - - I don't buy any fresh food there.

Wegmans is my go to for fruit, vegetables and meats and if I'm in a real hurry I'll go to Giant.  Used to live near a Martins and for those not knowing what that is - it's just a Giant Food.  All the store brands in Martins were Giant food generics.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KathyPet wrote:

COnsumer Reports has released the results of their survey on grocery stores.  50,000 responses were received.  Responders were asked to rate stores on things like quality,of produce, meat, organic choices, store cleanliness, check out process, availability of items.  HEre are the ten worst rated in order starting with the worst.

1.  Wal-Mart Super Center

2.  TOps Friendly Markets

3.  Shaw's

4.  Stop N Shop

5.  Acme

6.  Safeway

7.  PIck N Save

8.  Jewel Osco

9.  GIant

10. Martin's

Is your store on the Wall of Shame?

I would agree with this list.  I like Giant though. If Martin's is the one out of South Bend and some parts of N. Indiana, etc...I LOVE Martins!!

I detest Walmart's food.  The produce is awful, prices are high and the meat and seafood taste weird.  I bought shrimp once at Walmart, and it was terrible.  I took it back the next day after I put it back in the bag.  AWFUL and foul taste.   

We have Market District here in Carmel, and I love it.  Meijer also has a great grocery and the produce is awesome.  The prices are reasonable too ,  I like TJ, but I can't find much there.    I don't eat any prepared foods or snacks so I limit my purchases there to chicken, applegate turkey,  chicken broth and veggies. --and of course.  cards!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Trusted Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:
Publix is wonderful. Great produce and deli. Staff are friendly.

@Sweet_Serenity  what part of the country are they located, I've never heard of them ?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I LOVE Publix! I wish we had them up north.

For those who were wondering, Publix is a privately held chain operating in the south east, predominately in Florida (roughly 800 stores per the Publix website), but also in Alabama, Georgia, North & South Carolina, Tennesee & Virginia. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

Shaws is local here,i pick up a few things there ,our is clean i do most shopping at market basket, trader joes  i love going to ,but just too expensive to buy all things there.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

In my area, Acme and Giant are all over the place; everywhere.   I shop both, mostly Giant.  Its a great store.  Acme is good too, just that the prices are little higher.  These 2 are really my only option unless I want to spend a crazy amount of money on the fancy pants all organic stores.

Honored Contributor

My recent grocery shopping trip to my local Walmart was a grade A.  It is all new and very very nice.  I shop mostly at safeway and also love my local  Safeway store.  Fred Meyers is also a store I enjoy shopping at.  I never have found any of these three stores to disappoint me at all. 

Honored Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

COnsumer Reports has released the results of their survey on grocery stores.  50,000 responses were received.  Responders were asked to rate stores on things like quality,of produce, meat, organic choices, store cleanliness, check out process, availability of items.  HEre are the ten worst rated in order starting with the worst.

1.  Wal-Mart Super Center

2.  TOps Friendly Markets

3.  Shaw's

4.  Stop N Shop

5.  Acme

6.  Safeway

7.  PIck N Save

8.  Jewel Osco

9.  GIant

10. Martin's

Is your store on the Wall of Shame?

The only one we have in our area (Atlanta) from that list, is Walmart. I don't buy groceries there. 

When I was growing up, outside of a Boston, our local store was Stop N Shop. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?