Honored Contributor

Re: COnsumer Reports Grocery Store survey

@silver fox wrote:

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:
Publix is wonderful. Great produce and deli. Staff are friendly.

@Sweet_Serenity  what part of the country are they located, I've never heard of them ?

@Silver Fox1- corporate offices are in Florida and they're located primarily in the Southeast. I shop exclusively at Publix. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

In our mountain town our only two choices are Wal-Mart and Safeway; I use them both. Our Safeway has nine meatcutters  and sells more meat than any other Safeway in AZ.  We frequently shop out of town and love Costco meats and anything Traded Joes.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Walmart is the only one of these in my area.  Our Tops stores all went out of business and the others aren't around me.

I generally shop at Giant Eagle because that is what is close to me, along with Walmart.  I will go into WM if I have several things I need to get because there are things I buy weekly that are cheaper there but if I only need a few things, it's not worth the extra trip in there.  I never buy meat from WM of any kind nor produce with the exception of the organic salad in the plastic container. And that is only an occassional purchase from there. 

Giant Eagle's prices are nuts but that's my only other choice in my area.  We are supposed to be getting a Meijers but they just signed on and it's going to be I believe 2019 before it's built and opened.   

Respected Contributor

I've never even been in any of these stores except Jewel, and that was 30 years ago when I lived in the area in which they are located. I didn't do my regular shopping there because they were considered more expensive.  

Yes, I've been in Walmart, but not a Super Center which I guess is different - ?

Esteemed Contributor

Let me see... Walmart... Walmart and Walmart.  Just about covers it LOL

Okay being honest

1. Costco

2. Sams

3. Giant Eagle

4. Safeway

5. Food Lion

6. Aldis

Treated poorly in Weis markets so I willl NEVER GO BACK, EVER.....!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I shop at Goretti's, a local family-owned market.  It's small but best 'butcher shop' around.  People from many towns shop there so great turnover fresh produce. Prices are in line with Price Chopper which I go to sometime. Stop & Shop and Shaws are more expensive for some reason. Love Trader Joe's but only shop there occasionally. Haven't made it to Wegman's yet. Seldom shop Walmart - always get lost in that store!

Wouldn't bank on CR.  When I subscribed, noticed the CR reviews didn't align with actual customer reviews.

Honored Contributor

We only have Wal Mart (I don't go there), Homeland (Safeway) and a Trader Joe's 20 miles away.  I'd love to have a Harris Teeter here!

Isn't Publix a WalMart thing?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner  Publix is a separate shopping store all its own and completely separate from Walmart.  I never shop there because I find them very expensive.  Sam's Club is associated with Walmart last I knew.  

I've not heard of many of the worst.  I would rate Walmart low just because they don't carry my bread (Ezekiel) which is a staple every week to pick up and it's hard to get the healthier options that other true grocery stores are catering to now.  Nothing wrong with that approach but it doesn't fit my personal needs.  I like more of a variety of options.

I primarily shop at Ingles although I LOVE Kroger.  I am just too lazy to make the trip most days but I really like them a lot.  Thumbs way up on prices and options.   

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

We only have Wal Mart (I don't go there), Homeland (Safeway) and a Trader Joe's 20 miles away.  I'd love to have a Harris Teeter here!

Isn't Publix a WalMart thing?

No. Publix is an independent, privately owned chain in the southeast. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

With the exception of one, Giant (Eagle), I have never shopped in any of the stores on the OP’s list.  Neither have I ever shopped at a Trader Joe’s, Publix, Costco, nor Wegman’s.

I believe the enjoyment of good food–well prepared and attractively presented--is an important component of the quality of life, so it is fair to call me a grocery store snob.  I expect excellence in quality, choice and service, and once I find it, I remain a loyal customer.  Cleanliness goes without saying, of course.

Believe it or not, when DH and I were planning to move across the state, one requisite for me was the proximity to a particular line of grocery stores.  It is a family owned chain (in three states, I believe) and the quality of their produce department is just outstanding.

Before relocating, DH and I had shopped exclusively at a butcher shop for more than thirty years.  I just knew I was going to miss their good meat something terribly.  Fortunately, that has not been the case.  This staff cares about freshness and quality to the extent they post signs at the meat section, informing from which local farm the meat was obtained.

Their service is better than any I’ve experienced anywhere.  For example, I once asked for an item at the bakery that was unavailable, so I scratched it from my list and moved on.  Quite some time later, as I was at checkout, the bakery lady tracked me down to bring the item I had asked for.

I hope I have illustrated the importance of a grocery store with high standards for quality, choice and service.   If, like me, you have found one, I am glad for you.  Now, though, as tomorrow is grocery day, it is time for me to compile next week’s menu and grocery list.   Bon appétite*, y’all!

*Edited to deliberately misspell the word in order to circumvent censoring.  Woman Surprised

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.