Valued Contributor

Re: Bottled water

[ Edited ]

I buy bottled water at the grocery store.  Would never use our city tap water which I think has a smell.  I have recently found Acqua Panna.  This water comes from Italy and is fabulous!  It's pricey but you can definitey tell the difference.  It even comes in glass bottles which I love and prefer. It also comes in plastic bottles too.  I also like Smart Water.   

Valued Contributor

@SeaMaiden I use a berkey anf fill bottles and containers for hurricanes.I do get some for emergency supplies, but they are wasteful and not clean water.They are usually tap water.

Honored Contributor

The only reason we buy it is "just in case" of an emergency.  We don't take water with us where ever we go.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't buy water or filters,I just drink  my NJ tap water............

I have been all 82 yrs of my life....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you buy bottled water for those 'just-in-case' moments, be sure to check the expiration on those bottles in your stash at the back of your closet...or whenever. The water doesn't expire, but the plastic bottle does and it can leach stuff into the water when the plastic gets old.

Occasional Contributor

I have a filter on my faucet.  No purchase required for additional filters.  I have washable bottles i use.  Don't buy bottled water.  The filter i purchased on hsn and recently bought my second one in many years.  Always have cold water in the fridge.  Oh and I've taken my own grocery bags the the store for at least 35 years.  It really is quite easy to do things to help our environment which is in bad shape.

Honored Contributor

I have to wonder about the poster who is so sure that we have plenty of landfill space left for recycling, much of which is contaminated. But then I remembered her posting history regarding climate change, so it all makes sense. 

It's incredibly expensive to ship all this kwap to what landfills we do have. And these landfills are the third largest source of methane in this country. Carbon is released when burning plastics, and other elements like lead and mercury, are also emitted at dangerous level.

The solution has to be multi-pronged.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I have to wonder about the poster who is so sure that we have plenty of landfill space left for recycling, much of which is contaminated. But then I remembered her posting history regarding climate change, so it all makes sense. 

It's incredibly expensive to ship all this kwap to what landfills we do have. And these landfills are the third largest source of methane in this country. Carbon is released when burning plastics, and other elements like lead and mercury, are also emitted at dangerous level.

@suzyQ3 Just remember that in the 1970's it was for sure and for certain and we were all worried because of THE COMING ICE AGE.

It was the scientific fact of that decade. . . 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@suzyQ3 Just remember that in the 1970's it was for sure and for certain and we were all worried because of THE COMING ICE AGE.

It was the scientific fact of that decade. . . 

@Sooner, the comparison is faulty and easily debunked. But I should have known better than to refer to climate change. I just thought it was relevant in terms of context, but I have no interest in engaging with deniers.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I have a water filter and stainless insulated water bottles I fill to take with me. I've never bought bottled water and would not want water that's been in plastic bottles for who knows long. 

I should think that those having grandchildren would forgo the convenience of plastic water bottles to protect the planet for their future.