Honored Contributor
There are lots of reasons people may be buying cases of bottled water...like for taking to pass out at ball practice, giving to contractors and other repairmen who work outside in 104 temps in your yard, storing for the next storm, taking to a homeless shelter, selling at a sporting event, etc.
Honored Contributor

@camelot wrote:

Tinkrbl44:

plastic bottles are not being recycled now that China isn't accepting our plastic trash.

@camelot 

You honestly think that every time someone turns in plastic bottles that they are shipped to China?  Really?   You don't know very much about recycling businesses.

Respected Contributor

I keep a pitcher of regular tap water in the refrigerator. It tastes fine!

Super Contributor

Having tap water 'tested' is something we do regularly ... methane is found in mine (rural area), and we all know what creates "methane"  ....  Moo.   

If you are a city dweller and have chlorine in your water ... read the facts about breast and heart health.   

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I have to wonder about the poster who is so sure that we have plenty of landfill space left for recycling, much of which is contaminated. But then I remembered her posting history regarding climate change, so it all makes sense. 

It's incredibly expensive to ship all this kwap to what landfills we do have. And these landfills are the third largest source of methane in this country. Carbon is released when burning plastics, and other elements like lead and mercury, are also emitted at dangerous level.

The solution has to be multi-pronged.

@suzyQ3 Just remember that in the 1970's it was for sure and for certain and we were all worried because of THE COMING ICE AGE.

It was the scientific fact of that decade. . . 

@Sooner, the comparison is faulty and easily debunked. But I should have known better than to refer to climate change. I just thought it was relevant in terms of context, but I have no interest in engaging with deniers.

@suzyQ3 Science is a continum.  The world was flat, then it wasn't.  The earth was the center of the universe, then it wasn't.  Night air would kill you then it wouldn't.

Climate change has happened a lot and sometimes rapidly in the earth's long history.  For various reasons.  We only have weather (and weather is NOT climate if you read about the differences) records for not THAT long ago.  Accurate for a couple hundred years.  Long in human history, not long in the earth's history.  Not a blink of an eye.

My point is that nobody is certain about if or why the climate changes for lack of real data and observation.  Then IF it is the popoular theory of the day, we need to be focusing on India and China--what we do here isn't really driving anything.  Go to paper products you deforest, so in the short run, is that better?  I don't know.

I am not on one side or the other (is/isn't).  I'm only on the side of "we don't really know."  It has happened so often before for other than human factors.  Ice caps come and go, sheets of ice were in NE Kansas not that long ago (mini ice age).  So, some of this seems insignificantly silly to me in light of the true history and nature of the Earth.  To me.  But a lot of my education was in the earth sciences, so I'm a skeptic of a lot of things. 

How crazy Continental Drift must have seemed when first proposed.  So who knows? 

Regular Contributor
Honored Contributor

I buy bottled water weekly at the store.  My DH works outside and takes 3 bottles of water with him to drink during the day.

When DH and I are camping, we only use bottled water.  I will not drink the water that comes out of our faucet because it is coming to our faucet through a hose we have hooked up to an outdoor hook-up.   I won't even give it to my dog. She gets bottled water as well.  

We go through about 2 cases of water a week.  Not sure why what anyone else spends on anything is of concern to anyone else.

I recycle everything I can.  

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@camelot wrote:

Sooner, do you really believe it's Poland Spring H20? And is Poland a country with environment standards you trust for drinking water?

Fileterd water is better and easy. Might consider it. Water is my favorite beverage so I do understand your commitment to drinking H20.

Poland Spring water is not from Poland. It is from Maine.

@Trinity11, oh dear.  I'm pretty sure Sooner knew her water wasn't from Poland.  But this cracked me up.   

Honored Contributor

To those who refill there plastic water bottles after they drink the water from them, you are never supposed to do that.  There are a lot of articles out there that talk about that.  Unless that has changed as well.

Honored Contributor

We drink primarily water at home - bottled water.  Lots and lots of it.  For our lifestyles (working/being out of the house all day, him doing hours of yard work on a Saturday etc.) - it works for us.  We recycle.  But we are the people you see with cases of bottled water in our cart.

O/T - not always safe to drink the tap water, depending on where you live.