Reply
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,829
Registered: ‎03-18-2010

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@colliegirls wrote:

Here are some facts:

 

 http://www.balloonrelease.com/faqs.htm


 

That's a site that is invested in the idea that releasing ballons is a safe thing for grieving families to do. Their "facts" are questionable because they are clearly biased in favor of balloon release based on emotions and not evidence.

Here's a newspaper article that refutes those "facts": http://thetandd.com/news/opinion/blogs/environmentally_challenged/balloon-releases-pose-risk-to-wild...

 

Here's some information from the EPA about trash and pollution, which ranks balloons as one of the most common types of debris: http://www.epa.gov/reg3esd1/coast/debris.htm

 

And here's a pamphlet from the Marine Conservation Society: http://www.mcsuk.org/downloads/pollution/dont%20let%20go.pdf

 

That one includes pictures of injured or dead animals tied up in strings from balloons, which the "facts" from the other website did not even mention.


 

 

I absolutely agree. This is done by the balloon industry. There is no way I would trust a single word they say. Lol!!!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor
Posts: 11,153
Registered: ‎05-22-2012

@colliegirls wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@colliegirls wrote:

Here are some facts:

 

 http://www.balloonrelease.com/faqs.htm


 

That's a site that is invested in the idea that releasing ballons is a safe thing for grieving families to do. Their "facts" are questionable because they are clearly biased in favor of balloon release based on emotions and not evidence.

Here's a newspaper article that refutes those "facts": http://thetandd.com/news/opinion/blogs/environmentally_challenged/balloon-releases-pose-risk-to-wild...

 

Here's some information from the EPA about trash and pollution, which ranks balloons as one of the most common types of debris: http://www.epa.gov/reg3esd1/coast/debris.htm

 

And here's a pamphlet from the Marine Conservation Society: http://www.mcsuk.org/downloads/pollution/dont%20let%20go.pdf

 

That one includes pictures of injured or dead animals tied up in strings from balloons, which the "facts" from the other website did not even mention.


If you read the entire article, you would read that they recommend printing a message on the balloon, so no attached notes, and not using string.

The plastic holders around small soda bottles are much more common and dangerous to wildlife than the amount of balloons released.


 

First, it's well and good that sites recommends no string, but they often show people releasing balloons on TV and the news and every single time I've ever seen that, the balloons are always on strings. Most people are clearly not leaving the strings off.

 

Second, you seem to be suggesting that because one bad thing is worse than another somehow excuses the first bad thing when you say that six-pack plastic can/bottle holders are worse than the balloons. That excuse does not fly with me. I am not going to excuse one bad thing based on the fact that something else is even worse. What kind of society are we when we decide that bad  things are okay because, gosh, that other things is even worse?

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,723
Registered: ‎05-13-2012

We all pick our battles. There are a lot of issues in the world, no one has the energy to fight all of them. Work for what is important to you.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,380
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

I live in a state that is suffering a severe drought. In the past we have been evacuated twice because of fast moving wildfires. It is terrifying.

There was a national chain store that was selling laterns that can be lit and sent up (an asian custom) The city requested that corporate remove them. The store did so immediately. We must all be aware of, and take care of our environment.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,358
Registered: ‎02-21-2014

I did a search and there are lots of ideas 

for alternatives to releasing balloons.

 

 


••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,178
Registered: ‎09-02-2010

@hennypenny wrote:

I live in a state that is suffering a severe drought. In the past we have been evacuated twice because of fast moving wildfires. It is terrifying.

There was a national chain store that was selling laterns that can be lit and sent up (an asian custom) The city requested that corporate remove them. The store did so immediately. We must all be aware of, and take care of our environment.


...

 

Those lanterns are horrible.  Our neighbors had them one year and they started our back yard on fire.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*