Esteemed Contributor

Here are some facts:

http://www.balloonrelease.com/faqs.htm

Respected Contributor

It's curious why this group is so quick to make rules for everyone to follow. What to eat, what do do for fun and now balloons?   Do you enjoy bossing everyone around and setting all rules for every conceivable situation? 

Respected Contributor

ProudlyinNJ,   I have many friends with many points of view.  I don't tell them what to believe and they don't either.  This is a public forum, if you don't want to read any view but your own this is not the place for you.

Honored Contributor

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

It's curious why this group is so quick to make rules for everyone to follow. What to eat, what do do for fun and now balloons?   Do you enjoy bossing everyone around and setting all rules for every conceivable situation? 

@esmeraldagooch

I think the point of this post was to point out just how dangerous it is to wildlife to have these balloons released. It is rather selfish to have a few minutes of pleasure watching balloons float off into the air, when you could be affecting at least two animals lives or health for each one sent up (assuming the string finds one animal and the balloon finds another).

Then there are the other complications that occur. Power interruptions, litter that could clog drains etc. 

I guess what we have come to as a society is that people are stupid, and yes, have to often times be told what to do, because they aren't smart enough (or too selfish) to think ahead to the consequences of their actions.

Honored Contributor

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

ProudlyinNJ,   I have many friends with many points of view.  I don't tell them what to believe and they don't either.  This is a public forum, if you don't want to read any view but your own this is not the place for you.

Nobody is telling you what to believe. The fact of the matter is, releasing these balloons is dangerous to wildlife, etc.  That's what is being pointed out here.

If you plain and simply don't care about that, then just admit it.  Ignorance of the fact that it's harmful doesn't change the facts.  

Esteemed Contributor

Love finding them, especially with a note attached and follow up if I can.  But agree their release is environmentally irresponsible.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

I like to think that many are unaware of the impact balloon releases have on wildlife and the environment. Hopfully, informing them will cause some of them to stop but a law would stop most. It's unfortunate that people need laws, threats of fines, to behave responsibility.  

Esteemed Contributor

Are latex balloons biodegradable?
Yes, 100%. Latex is a natural product of rubber tree sap, it breaks down when exposed to the elements of nature. 

How long does it take for a balloon to biodegrade?
Oxidation is the first step in the breakdown of a latex balloon and it begins within approximately one hour of inflation. Oxidation is
visible in some types of balloons as a cloudy appearance. This is most evident when the balloon is exposed to direct sunlight, heat or normal outdoor conditions.
Research was carried out in July 1989 with a variety of balloons under various conditions to accurately gauge the time needed for the latex to degrade. Results from this study indicate that the decomposition time for balloons is about the same rate as an oak leaf (6 months).

What happens when a balloon is released?
A scientific survey carried out in 1989 revealed that on release a balloon will float up to a height of approximately 5 miles and then it becomes brittle and shatters into miniscule pieces falling back to earth at a rate of circa one piece every 5 square miles. Problems can usually only arise if a balloon is not inflated properly or fully or is carrying too much weight and therefore does not reach the height at which shattering occurs.

Honored Contributor

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

Well, if you don't like balloons or lanterns don't use them.    

That attitude doesn't really help the people who lost power because the balloons hit a power line or the countless animals injured or killed by these balloons. You seem to have absolutely missed the point.

Honored Contributor

It's for the benefit of the people releasing the balloons - to provide comfort to them for someone who has passed.  It's the same reason people lay stuffed animals or other memorials at a crash site, or at someone's doorstep, or at the Gates of Kensington Palace (when Diana died).  It has to be of some comfort to the person leaving whatever it is, or releasing the balloons.

I totally agree that they should find some more eco-friendly way of finding comfort than releasing balloons.