Honored Contributor

Re: At a wedding, do you prefer

In that I make every effort to avoid attending weddings, showers and so on, I have no firm preferences. When I absolutely have to go to a wedding, I roll with whatever is on offer... Ideally, there's a choice of food and a choice of beverage, beyond that, it is what it is... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

I don't do weddings, if I like the couple I will send a nice gift..

Trusted Contributor

I am watching this thread...our daughter is getting married next March, and as of right now, we are having a buffet and serving only wine and beer.

We have heard outcry from her friends about this, and I simply told them if they wanted liquor, then give me the money. No one has offered.

We are having a buffet because its what she wants, and we also like the idea of people mingling.

Honored Contributor

Buffet.

Honored Contributor

I find the food isn't all that great at affairs such as weddings and Bar and Bat Mitzvahs. The food is secondary to me, I go for the celebration. I usually will eat some at the cocktail hour and not really care about the selections for the plated food. I don't care for a buffet.

Honored Contributor

@RollTide2008 wrote:
This is my own wedding. I’m 45 years old and can afford to host my friends for dinner and dancing.

Congratulations!  (Ultimately choose what you and your fiance want - but you're a very considerate host for thinking about the guests)

Esteemed Contributor

I prefer plated. I would have maybe a glass of wine if offered, but if not, it's no big deal to me.

Respected Contributor

@RedHeadedWench wrote:

I am watching this thread...our daughter is getting married next March, and as of right now, we are having a buffet and serving only wine and beer.

We have heard outcry from her friends about this, and I simply told them if they wanted liquor, then give me the money. No one has offered.

We are having a buffet because its what she wants, and we also like the idea of people mingling.

@RedHeadedWench  Oh piddle to her friends' outcry  Glad you put them in their place.  I've been to dry receptions (no alcohol) or cash bars and totally enjoyed the celebration.

Respected Contributor

Buffet, but that's because it's what I'm used to. The majority of weddings I've attended have been buffet with open bar. At my brother's wedding, we didn't have to pay for drinks. Some of the family members provided it and didn't charge anyone. Of course that led to some rowdy drunks before the day was through. Another wedding I went to was alcohol free because the groom did not drink. None of the guests complained and it turned out to be a very nice reception. I've been to a couple of plated receptions - I always chose the chicken dinner. Smiley LOL  Ultimately it comes down to what the bride and groom want. There's pros and cons for all options. 

Honored Contributor

@RedHeadedWench - don't give into the peer pressure, too bad on them that they can't go to one affair and not have an endless supply of shots for the evening.