Respected Contributor
Do you prefer a plated meal or a buffet? If the bar is limited to beer, wine, and a signature cocktail, do you take issue with that?
Trusted Contributor

Re: At a wedding, do you prefer

A plated meal is fine.  I do not drink. so the bar would be of no interest to me.

Honored Contributor

Plated meal.  Since I don't drink alcohol, I'm happy with water, a soft drink, or iced tea. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Personally I prefer plated, that's what we did for our wedding.  We also did open bar but I think the beer, wine and signature cocktail option is perfect!

ETA - I don't drink alcohol either but I still think that option is good for those who do.

ETA again - we recently attended a plated meal wedding reception; there were plenty of options for all allergies and dietary requirements sent with the invitation. 

Honored Contributor

No preference.  Whatever the bride and groom decide is fine with me.

If it were my wedding ....buffet and open bar.  I prefer that people mingle.

Honored Contributor

I don't drink so a bar or what is offered there is of no concern to me.

I prefer a buffet. Plated meals are very limited in choice and with people having varied dietary needs, I really feel in this day and age, to really accommodate guests properly a good buffet is in order, so they can have more choice in their foods and meet many different needs.

Esteemed Contributor

@RollTide2008 wrote:
Do you prefer a plated meal or a buffet? If the bar is limited to beer, wine, and a signature cocktail, do you take issue with that?

Definitely prefer a plated meal......if the bar is limited that is ok with me.....many of the special drinks can be very expensive  and if someone wants something special they should pay for it................

Honored Contributor

I prefer a plated meal; I do not like buffets on many levels.

Since my drink of choice is wine, I have no  problem with the bar option you have mentioned.  However, if I were hosting, I would offer a full bar.  People like certain drinks, and as a host I'd want to keep everyone happy.

Super Contributor

@RollTide2008 I too prefer a plated meal and I don't imbibe either so the bar is not significant.

Honored Contributor

@RollTide2008 wrote:

Either kind of meal is fine with me. 

I've been to weddings with open bar, limited bar, cash bar and  no bar.  I've been fine with all of it.  

Do what you want and/or what you can afford.

If you think someone will take issue with your decisions, maybe they don't deserve the honor of an invitation to your special event? 

If someone takes issue with your wedding, because of the reasons you stated in your op, it tells you all you need to know about them. 

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.