Honored Contributor

Re: At a wedding, do you prefer

@drizzellla wrote:

I prefer a buffet, then I can pick the food I would like to eat. But it seems like a buffet takes so long. People who got their food early are done and other people haven't eaten yet.  So I guess a plated meal and take your chances, that you will like the meal.

After watching some ugly displays at open bar weddings. I prefer just beer, wine and a fountain of a special drink.

There always seems to be one person, who thinks just because it is a free open bar that they have to overdo their consumption of liquor. Sadly, I have seen too many weddings ruined by someone no longer acting reasonable. There have even been police called. The bride was devastated. All because someone perceived flirting or an insult. And off they went. There was no reasoning with them.

And that is all I remember about their weddings - the arguing and fights. 

I agree - if you have family or friends who you know drink too much then get mean it is best to restrict it to beer and wine only. They don't get as mean as when they drink whiskey, or have your wedding early in the day and only have mimosa, coffee,tea.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Personally I prefer a plated meal & an open bar.A few years ago I attended the wedding of a close friends daughter.They had a buffet & a cash bar.The only free drink was champagne punch.

Almost everyone complained about the fact that they were being charged for drinks.Even the Bride’s brother complained.JMO but if you’re inviting people to a fancy wedding & they’re giving generous gifts they shouldn’t have to pay for their drinks. I think it’s tacky.

Honored Contributor

I'm surely not a stuck-up wedding guest! Plated, buffet style, anything is fine with me. Nowadays the couple is financing the wedding themselves and having a buffet is much more cost efficient than a plated dinner. I'm not there to only eat, I'm there to enjoy the happiness for the newly married couple. Let the dancing begin!! Woman Very Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

@RollTide2008  I have no preference regarding buffet or plated meal as long as it properly managed by the catering service.  

My worst experience was at a very expensive reception serving plated meals.  Each guest had preselected their meal.

Ours was a table of ten.  The meals were not being  served by table.  They were served by entree selection, thus being served in a very scatter manner.   Everyone at the table was finished eating before I got my meal. Family members at our table were offering me some of their entree because they felt bad.   It made no sense, I glanced over at other tables, there were individuals who had ordered my selection. They had almost finished eating.  I spoke twice to our server.  

I left the table to go to the rest room.  When I returned my meal was there. Servers was already clearing tables and bringing out dessert.  It probably seemed childish, but I was so annoyed I didn't touch my meal.  They didn't allow it to be boxed, so I watched as the server pitched it into the trash.  

Sorry I went on so long, I just to make you aware to address this with your service if you decide on a plated meal selection.  

Our cousin and her husband paid dearly for this reception for their daughter and would have been mortified.  I just don't think their venue could handle this size of reception.   I would never mention to them, but they might have later learned about it from family members at the table.

Honored Contributor

I prefer a plated meal and if there is white wine or a rose, I will have a glass.  However, I'm perfectly ok if there is no bar service.  An occasional glass of wine is the extent of my drinking.  I wouldn't "take issue" with anything that is served at wedding or any other party.  I just enjoy myself and I can make do with whatever is served.

Respected Contributor

@RollTide2008, Do what ever makes you happiest.

When I attend a wedding it is to watch the couple marry. I feel honored to be invited.

I do not go to judge what is spent, or what is served. Life is not a reality tv show.

Mazel Tov!

Honored Contributor

@RollTide2008 wrote:
This is my own wedding. I’m 45 years old and can afford to host my friends for dinner and dancing.

Ok.  In that case, it was an odd question to ask.  You should plan the wedding that you and your fiance want to have.  That should be your only concern.  Congratuations!  I hope you have your dream wedding.

Respected Contributor

Congratulations @RollTide2008!

I would not take issue with much of anything* a couple decides for their wedding, but since you asked....prefer plated meal and full bar.

*except shuttle buses Smiley Mad

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I prefer a buffet but it has to be a good buffet.  We have some very, very good caterers here that do an awesome buffet.  And we have some that do some really lousy food.

I've had very good plated meals and very good buffet meals and I've had really awful plated and buffet meals.

I personally prefer a fully stocked bar.  I'm not a beer or wine drinker but I do like a cocktail when I'm out.   However, I've also attended a wedding where there was no alcohol at all and it was very nice but people left very early.  LOL  The alcohol wouldn't be a sticking point with me.  Actually, nothing would. 

Honored Contributor

I live in suburban NYC so its generally plated and open bar

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.