Honored Contributor

Re: Article in Today's Philadelphia Inquirer

I think they are making enough money off of the people that buy from them.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

It seems eons ago when they offered interesting products, eye candy products, I-want-that products. It's sad to remember it all, being on speed dial, items selling out in a flash.  Fun times.

Respected Contributor

...for crying out loud, any number of stores are having problems and have been having problems.

It's hard to bring in New products when you can't sell that's on your shelves.

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Unless I misread, as I was reading quickly, the article states that QVC is 3rd ranked retailer, behind only Amazon and Walmart. It's just that 50% of their sales are through the website, not through television.  I hardly ever (a few times a year, for Irish or gold or gem events) watch the TV version.  I don't dislike it, but I can go right to what I want on the net.  I restocked on Bare Essentials just this weekend, And I shop Clearance regularly.

And they in my view are a more ethical company than Amazon or Walmart, and I wish them well.  I hope they don't morph away from TV too fast, as I still enjoy the special day events.

Honored Contributor

I no longer watch, so I rely on threads and posts here letting me know when there is a good deal on something I use.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

U.S. Retail Sales, Inflation Data Highlight Weak First Quarter Growth

| April 14, 2017, at 8:46 a.m.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. retail sales fell for a second straight month in March and consumer prices dropped for the first time in just over a year, underscoring the magnitude of the loss of economic growth momentum in the first quarter.

But with the labor market near full employment, Friday's weak reports failed to change views that the Federal Reserve will raise interest rates again in June. Economists expect a rebound in both retail sales and monthly inflation.

"For the Fed, the underlying momentum is more important in terms of policy decisions, and that looks to be strong, supported by a tightening labor market, rising incomes and high consumer confidence," said Gregory Daco, head of U.S. macroeconomics at Oxford Economics in New York.

The Commerce Department said retail sales dropped 0.2 percent last month after a 0.3 percent decrease in February, which was the first and biggest decline in nearly a year. Compared to March last year retail sales increased 5.2 percent.

Economists had forecast retail sales slipping 0.1 percent. Excluding automobiles, gasoline, building materials and food services, retail sales rebounded 0.5 percent last month after falling 0.2 percent in February.

These so-called core retail sales correspond most closely with the consumer spending component of gross domestic product.

Despite last month's rebound in core retail sales, consumer spending likely braked sharply in the first quarter after growing at a brisk 3.5 percent annualized rate in the final three months of 2016. The apparent slowdown in consumption is partly blamed on the late disbursement of income tax refunds by the government as it sought to combat fraud.

The Atlanta Fed lowered its first-quarter GDP estimate by one-tenth of a percentage point to a 0.5 percent rate, which would be the weakest performance in three years. The economy grew at a 2.1 percent pace in the fourth quarter.

More:  http://money.usnews.com/investing/news/articles/2017-04-14/us-retail-sales-fall-for-second-straight-...

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

"professionally staffed hair and makeup studios and dressing rooms where hosts and guests get their look together, wearing available-for-sale merch as much as possible."

@Mz iMac

Chyeah riiiiight.  

Pin Talk To The Hand Emoji on Pinterest

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

"professionally staffed hair and makeup studios and dressing rooms where hosts and guests get their look together, wearing available-for-sale merch as much as possible."

hmm

Respected Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Wish they would/could fix the pop-ups.  It's been approx. 3 weeks.  The one saying that Only secure content is being shown, and to click onto Show all content.  Again, why would we want non-secure content along with our secure content?   Hey, if most/many viewers are getting this pop-up, could be that they aren't ordering online.  Well, just a thought;  I'm always wishing QVC well, because I like their overall business vision.   A few 'fixes' here and there would be nice.   Otherwise, they are a top class shopping venue.

What pop-ups.  I don't get any at all when I'm on here.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

Actually I used to sit and mindlessly watch QVC and sometimes buy something. Now I come and mindlessly read this board instead, and buy nothing. Better for me - not good for QVC.

Same here.   I haven't watched a program in probably 10 years, maybe more.   The last thing bought from QVC was a Tova ring I'd been looking at online for years.   DH got it for my birthday last fall.   Before that?  I don't even remember it was so long ago.

Meanwhile I'm getting my money worth from Amazon Prime, Ma cy's and a few other B&M stores.