Trusted Contributor

Re: Are you a retiree, who went back to work and if so, what are you doing?

I retired about 8 years ago after 33 years of teaching.  I took Red Cross Lifeguard training and started working part-time the following fall as a lifeguard at our local rec center.  I work 2-4 (very) early mornings a week and I love it.  I have gotten to know the swimmers very well and now have a great group of friends there.  I get a free membership, but the pay is very poor.

I also supervise student teachers for our state university.  The number of student teachers who come to my part of the state varies from semester to semester, so sometimes I am much busier with than others.  I love this job also because it keeps me in touch with the profession and the student teachers are so enthused and eager.  I find that the university prepares them very well, so I seldom have an issue with their work.  

I think the key to a good retirement job is flexibility.  I don't work at all in the summer because we move to our lake house.

Super Contributor

I am Retired 7 years ago,last year I did a couple of online work commision only liked it.It kept me busy.

Since I cannot work outside of home since I am now disabled in a wheelchair, I still work 2 jobs off and on and commision only one I work weekdays since October 2017.

I love it since I have to talk to people and be online which I love anyway.

I always worked in Sales and Customer Service and marketing anyway/

I can work part time hours during the week I keep active that way not too old but I think I am old some days right now I got a sick 13 year old cat killing me she may have to be put down had her and her sister 13 years and got a grandbaby fur baby about 2.5 years old she is very acitve keeps me busy.

But if you or anyone can work p.t good if Retired with the cost of living and healthcare you need extra income.nowadays. so take care, & keep acitive.

Esteemed Contributor

Retired from higher education, 50s. Enjoying part-time post-retirement job in higher education at another college. Easier work in familiar surroundings. I'm thrilled. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been wanting to try a part-time job.  I am over 68, but still alert, eager, and knowledgable.  However, I cannot hear very well anymore, even with my hearing aid!  So, I guess I am looking for some type of work I can do that doesn't require good hearing!!!   LOL    I miss working, the comraderie of co-workers,  and I also could use the extra money.

Esteemed Contributor

@cotton4me wrote:

When I first retired I looked for a part time job; however, I couldn’t find anything. In the meantime, I began doing wildlife photography as a hobby.  I never expected the joy it would bring me.  I’m always learning something new and it keeps active, engaged and meeting new people all the time; the very things I’d hoped for from a PT job. 

@cotton4me

Same here !

Whether I'm out on my walks around the neighborhood or on wooded walking trails (trying to get in at least 10,000 steps on my Fitbit), I enjoy stopping to take pics of various flora and fauna--and whatever else catches my attention. 

A while back, my husband gave me one of his fancy cameras.Smiley Happy

I look forward to my walks--I never know what I might come across.

Esteemed Contributor

I retired 4 years ago at 51. Stayed home two years to remodel, sell home and have new one built. Went to work part time, just had my 2nd anniversary there in April. Not enough hours, I was just hired back with the State in a totally different field then before and different Agency. I will start on Tuesday after Memorial Day. I’m excited and looking forward to it. 

Trusted Contributor

Interestingly enough my old employer called me earlier this week begging me to come back, name my own salary, what ever hours I want. I told them I have a different life now and my hubby going to be retiring soon. I really wanted to say over my dead body.

Respected Contributor

I don't miss the work but I miss the social part and meeting new people.  It is hard to find a part time job where I live except for some type of retail. That would be fun if they did not stay on you about sales quotas.  Also if not careful a part time job can cost you money with your taxes, gas, wear and tear on vehicle, more clothes, makeup, etc. 

Honored Contributor

@Daisy Sunflower wrote:

@cotton4me wrote:

When I first retired I looked for a part time job; however, I couldn’t find anything. In the meantime, I began doing wildlife photography as a hobby.  I never expected the joy it would bring me.  I’m always learning something new and it keeps active, engaged and meeting new people all the time; the very things I’d hoped for from a PT job. 

@cotton4me

Same here !

Whether I'm out on my walks around the neighborhood or on wooded walking trails (trying to get in at least 10,000 steps on my Fitbit), I enjoy stopping to take pics of various flora and fauna--and whatever else catches my attention. 

A while back, my husband gave me one of his fancy cameras.Smiley Happy

I look forward to my walks--I never know what I might come across.

My husband is doing that and loving it too.

Honored Contributor

@qvcfreak wrote:

I retired 4 years ago at 51. Stayed home two years to remodel, sell home and have new one built. Went to work part time, just had my 2nd anniversary there in April. Not enough hours, I was just hired back with the State in a totally different field then before and different Agency. I will start on Tuesday after Memorial Day. I’m excited and looking forward to it. 

How wonderful, good luck on that! @qvcfreak