Honored Contributor

Are you a retiree, who went back to work and if so, what are you doing?

It crosses my mind......I just wonder if anyone here is doing this.  If you are, are you in the same field that you'd worked in during your working years?

Just curious.

Honored Contributor

Re: Are you a retiree, who went back to work and if so, what are you doing?

For 4 years after I retired, I worked per diem.I only worked when I wanted to , so it was the best of both worlds.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I had a managerial position with a lot of responsibility during my career.  After I retired, I just wanted something part-time with no responsibility.  I got a position as an order taker at a J.C. Penney catalog call center.  It was a lot of fun helping people shop and I met some nice people who were co-workers.  They hired a lot of retired people.  I worked there about 3 years and eventually just got tired of it.  The center closed not too long after I quit.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I never went back to work after I got laid off work from my last job around 20 yrs or so ago. It's been so long I don't remember. I was a bookkeeper.

Still not old enough to collect SS so guess I'm not retired yet.

I don't miss it & I won't go back to work unless it's a have to situation.

I enjoy being able to do what I want when I want or get up when I want or jump in the car to go some place. I no longer have to ask if I can take off work.

DH is still working but he can take off any time he wants for as long as he wants. He gets 7 wks leave a yr. I think he will probably retire in about 4 yrs. I know he also will not go back to work unless it's a have to situation. Working $%@^&*!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

I did several years ago (my early 60's) I cook in a bar and grill.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

I retired in 2004 ,I do some organic vegetable farming on a very small scale, but I did that when I worked as a ward secretary. Instead of selling my veggies at at Farmers Market like I used to years ago, I have a Farm Stand on my property now.

Trusted Contributor

I retired from full time teaching, and now work as a substitute about 40 days during the school year.  My mother retired for one year, and returned to full time secretarial work until she was 78.  My father had passed, and she was lonely and bored at home.

Honored Contributor

I only lasted about 4 months as a retired person but I started volunteering not working.  I just could not just sit around.  I still have plenty of time to garden, read, etc.  

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne, that's probably the better idea, since you can still do what have to.  Jobs pretty much hold you to things.

Respected Contributor

I retired from my career job 4 years ago.  I now work as a temp employee on an on call basis as a receptionist for a title company.

It's easy, good money,  and i pretty much work when i want to.