Trusted Contributor

Cotton slipcovered sofa/couch?

I'm looking to buy new living room furniture, and I love the look of the slipcovered furniture, but I'm hesitant to buy the couch I'm looking at at Raymour & Flanigan, as the cover is cotton and it cannot be spot cleaned with water.  The instructions state that the covers should not be removed and washed.

I'm just wondering if any of you own slipcoverded furniture, and if so, how difficult is it to keep clean or spot clean when necessary.  Any thoughts or experiences?  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Cotton slipcovered sofa/couch?

The point of a slipcover is that it's something that can be removed and cleaned while protecting permanently upholstered furniture.  I wouldn't even consider for a moment the piece you mention.

People who spend money on fitted slipcovers are often very disappointed with them.  They are famous for mostly being a rumpled mess if actually used.  They must constantly be smoothed and tucked to keep them neat.  Be sure this is what you want before spending big money on this project.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I'd keep on looking.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Respected Contributor

where i grew up living room furniture which was upholstered had "summer" slipcovers for a cooler, lighter look for the hot days of a Southern summer.  they were made from muslin and were sent out to be cleaned at the end of the summer.  they saved wear and tear on the upholstery too.  2 looks and a lot of common sense about the whole thing.  i can't imagine a slipcover that you can't dryclean or wash.  what would be the point?

Honored Contributor

I like that look also ,but  from my experience cotton on furniture does not wear well.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This sofa is going to be a big disappointment. The point of slip covers is that they can be washed and changed to give a room a new appearance.

I suggest you buy a quality sofa, avoid t shaped cushions and narrow arms. Then invest in two/three piece slip covers. One piece fits entirely over each seat cushion and zips closed, it doesn't need smoothed. The other piece covers the sofa and the cushion/cushions go on top. 

I have a traditional leather sofa and love seat. In the spring they get slip covered and window treatments are changed as well as throw pillows. 

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for your replies, everyone. I am pretty sure that the slipcovered sofaas are fairly popular right now. I don't think I'm explaining myself very  well, but I am probably going to go with a different fabric, as I don't wanna have to worry about trying to keep the slipcover clean.

Trusted Contributor

When I was growing up, we had slipcovers that my mother used in the spring and summer.  They were custom made and expensive.  She washed them several times during the summer because we were "play outside all day kids", and usually sat on the furniture watching TV before bath time.  I remember them very fondly. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sue98 I have a cotton slip covered sofa and chair in a brushed canvas from pottery barn.  Just replaced the sofa slip cover after 10 years......well worth it.  Are washable too so I love that!

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

I'm a fan of slip covers; when the slip covers went on it meant school almost over and soon it would be summer and watermelon. I loved watermelon then and still love it now.