Respected Contributor

Re: Are you a retiree, who went back to work and if so, what are you doing?

@qualitygal Yes, I retired 5 years ago after 41 years in the same place.  They actually hired me back at my old job, but at a 20% reduction in pay.  I still have their medical coverage, which is better than medicare or an advantage plan.  I'm going to be 70 this December, and I'm finally feeling like I'm ready to move on (I wish this job was only part time).  I'll probably stay another year or so.

On my jogging route, I met a very sweet older gentleman a couple years ago while he was outside doing yard work.  I just spoke with him last night and he had a medical condition which caused him to retire from work last fall.  He retired at 81 years old!

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

Retired, went back - same work, same company.  Same $$$.  Love it.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I am not retired yet, but my oldest sister said after she retired at 55, she should have taken a year off and then found a part time job. She doesn't have many hobbies, and I think she gets bored easily. Her husband passed away last year, so she really has been bored.....

My brother on the other hand at 69, is working parttime at The Home Depot and loves it!!!He only works 20-25 hours per week. He retired from his executive job at 55. He was retired for about 2 years when he said I need something else to do, and he has been at Home Depot ever since. He said it is the best of both worlds....His wife also works parttime.... 

Respected Contributor

My 86 year old father-in-law still works about 8 hours a week stocking produce at a grocery store.  He's been there like 15 years - another entire career!

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Esteemed Contributor

When I first retired I looked for a part time job; however, I couldn’t find anything. In the meantime, I began doing wildlife photography as a hobby.  I never expected the joy it would bring me.  I’m always learning something new and it keeps active, engaged and meeting new people all the time; the very things I’d hoped for from a PT job. 

Honored Contributor

I'm retiring next week and I have no plans to work AT ALL.

I'm going to spend time with kids & grandkids, work my garden, do a little traveling, get a dog and not punch a clock.

I can't imagine ever working again.   I've had it!

I'm 65.

Honored Contributor

No but I managed a big department for 10 years and about half the workers who retired contacted me a year or two after retirement to ask if they could come back on a part-time basis.  It was like all they really needed was a nice long sabbatical.  I think people under estimate the money they need to retire, they forget that while the income goes down, their expenses really don't go down.  And then there are the social aspects of work.  Work isn't just about money for many people.  My department had a policy of not re-hiring people who quit or retired, even if we had a position for them.  Even if we were having difficulties filling that position.  Asked about it once and our division VP said that she didn't want people who didn't want workers who just wanted to fill up their day or make some money to supplement their retirement income.  She wanted people who were committed to the work.  I saw it differently but it wasn't my decision to make.

Honored Contributor

Not me, but my DH retired after 20 yrs as an AF officer/pilot, he then took a few months off and decided to get his law degree, after 3 yrs., as well as working PT at the Law Library, he has now been practicing law for over 20 years!

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

I'm retiring next week and I have no plans to work AT ALL.

I'm going to spend time with kids & grandkids, work my garden, do a little traveling, get a dog and not punch a clock.

I can't imagine ever working again.   I've had it!

I'm 65.

@software CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Respected Contributor

My husband and I worked hard for years for our retirement and we are truly enjoying it.

No more thinking about work.