Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Are You Getting Lots of Spam Calls Last 2 Days?

Yup.  I thought it was because I had entered a contest, which required a phone number.  Never  again!!!

Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn I guess I should look for one that would maybe not block certain area codes, but even with that my mom's nursing home has different people that call and use their own cell phones, so it's an issue for us since workers come from more than one state.

But you have given me some good ideas and things to look for and think about!  I appreciate it!!!  

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@hckynutjohn I guess I should look for one that would maybe not block certain area codes, but even with that my mom's nursing home has different people that call and use their own cell phones, so it's an issue for us since workers come from more than one state.

But you have given me some good ideas and things to look for and think about!  I appreciate it!!!  

@Sooner 

A little more info. If there are numbers you do not want blocked, you can just put them in your phone directory. If the number is in your directory, it will not be blocked. Area codes do not make any difference.

Everything above, and in my other posts, are if you choose Auto Block in your Settings. With Auto Block turned off, you can still, "see who's calling", and the Manually Block if you choose. You can also hit the "Block Button" at any time during any call.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Yep, i had one just minutes ago with my area code   lol but not local number phone-tells me  out of area  but not where from.!

I let answering machine handle it but my answering machine won't talk to them so they hang up...lol!

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Trusted Contributor

@Sooner Are these calls on a landline or to your cell phone? I mentioned that iPhone has the option to silence these calls but I'm sure Samsung  and other phones also have that option in your settings. If you're getting these calls on your land line, check with your carrier. More carriers are offering blocking options as well. It would be nice if carriers could stop this , but the way the scammers are able to disguise the actual number that they call from, it's really hard to physically locate them. 

I think everyone gets spates of calls from these people at different times. Believe me, they aren't singling you out! 

Their latest tactic appears to be scam text messages. They try, oh how they try!

Honored Contributor

@Buffalogal47 It's really odd but we haven't had them today, but for the last two days it was crazy.  I wondered if it had to do with crank/spam calls related to overseas issues and cyber attacks. . . still think that may be a possibility.

Respected Contributor

for the Re: Are You Getting Lots of Spam Calls Last 2 Days?

I work for the state and just received an email that we need to be extra careful because of the Russian invasion of Ukraine our security department is saying to expect cyber attacks across vulnerable United States computing systems, not sure if this would relate to phone calls but everyone be careful with emails and dont open attachments from unknown sources.

Respected Contributor

Re: for the Re: Are You Getting Lots of Spam Calls Last 2 Days?

They are in full throttle, annoying mode lately. Yesterday morning I got 8 spam calls in 3 hours. Ridiculous. I usually use my "block unknown calls" setting. I had to pause that setting for a few weeks as I'm dealing with an insurance issue and do not want to miss a call until it's been settled. They use a variety of numbers so I need to answer my calls. I was notified this morning that a refund check has finally been issued, so now I can again use my "block unknown calls" setting to send the scam calls straight to voice mail (wish I could send these scammers someplace else).

Respected Contributor

No.  I only have a cell phone and hardly ever get one.  I really don't remember the last one.

Respected Contributor

No.  I only have a cellphone and hardly ever get one.  I honestly don't remember the last one I got; it's been so long.