Trusted Contributor

Re: Are You Getting Lots of Spam Calls Last 2 Days?

When you answer an unknown number and it turns out to be a scam call, the scammer knows they have reached a live number and will sell it to other scammers. That's why the O.P. is getting so many scam calls. Blocking these numbers is useless because they are all spoofed; that means that the number that appears on your caller ID is not the real number they are calling from. iPhones have a feature that allows you to silence calls from numbers that aren't in your contacts. If you do get a call from a legitimate number, such as a doctor or a business, they will leave a message so you can call them back. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Are You Getting of Spam Calls Last 2 Days?

Been getting spam for years - calls that is not the canned spam. I get at least 4-5 spam calls every day. It's alway the same people, I feel like we've become friends - ALMOST - because I now recognize their voices. One man changes his name every time he calls and this is all in one day! What a fool he is!!!

And then there are the calls whereby no one says anytnig for a couple of seconds until they make the connection and a beep goes off. That's when I hang up, slam the phone.

Let's not forget "Amy" who calls to tell me my DOCTOR has phned her to say to me, that my Dr suggested she call me for medical equipment, aids, etc I now need to get awround in my house, my life. NO, I'm pretty freaking sure you have not heard from my Dr for anything.

Spam - meat is okay, calls are not.

Respected Contributor

Re: Are You Getting of Spam Calls Last 2 Days?

YES, I'm getting them on my cell phone. I don't have a landline anymore. I don't answer them if I don't know the number. They can leave a message if it's important. 

Most calls show a phone number only, some come up as Spam, one odd number showed it coming from the Netherlands! 

I just block them.

Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@Sooner 

Today I deleted 7 spam calls. Over the weekend it was 17. Out phone however never rings. Several years ago I bought a 4 handset cordless phones. These have an Auto Block Setting that blocks all numbers not in your Phone Directory. This blocks them from ringing, and it holds up to 1,000 different numbers.

Took care of 99% of telephone rings that were computer generated, or numbers of others I did not want to field. Great phones, worth every penny to us.

hckynut  🇺🇸

@hckynutjohn It's great that works out!  I will investigate.  Our issue is that people from mom's nursing home call, and you never know what their numbers are.  I'll look into that though--maybe we can make it work for us!  

The odd thing is it seems to get worse if we have more than one phone with a ringer on. I think maybe that is something they can detect.  

Honored Contributor

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

When you answer an unknown number and it turns out to be a scam call, the scammer knows they have reached a live number and will sell it to other scammers. That's why the O.P. is getting so many scam calls. Blocking these numbers is useless because they are all spoofed; that means that the number that appears on your caller ID is not the real number they are calling from. iPhones have a feature that allows you to silence calls from numbers that aren't in your contacts. If you do get a call from a legitimate number, such as a doctor or a business, they will leave a message so you can call them back. 

@Buffalogal47 Thanks but the puzzle is we don't answer them and yesterday and the day before it went crazy ringing all day.  I am wondering if you get an "attack" at certain random times to see if they can make you start picking up.

You know they are span because the say they are from cities all around the U.S. Or actually they are not from those locations but random picks.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm not overstating  anything to say we  get as many as 15 or 20 calls a day.  We do  not answer these days, of course, unless we recognize the caller ID.

Some calls show up on caller ID as spam, but  not all.

This phone marathon started during the Medicare and Medicare Advantage  enrollment period months ago but has gone on and on since then and now includes other potential scams.

The earliest and most amusing one was from a woman who gave me the chance to have some evil fun and waste her time. 

She never asked my name, but immediately asked what Medicare card I had.  I said, "Gee,  I dunno, I guess it's the same card the government gave me a few years ago".

Then she informed me that  the card would "expire in three days".  Still playing along, I said, "Well then, send me a new one".

A few others after her called, never asked my name, and immediately said things such as,  "You probably have diabetes and high blood pressure, right?"   I asked where that info had come from and was told the info was "in their system".   I asked what system they were using--they hung up.   (No diabetes in this house and blood pressure has been well under control for a long time.

Not one caller seemed to care whether they might be talking to my cousin or my daughter-in-law.  By golly, they are given a script and follow it to the letter, but the script needs a new introductory sentence.

Several  others pulled the same stunt and immediately  fired off all sorts of questions about  my health, my age, my weight --and one's opening and first question was how tall I am.  I busted out laughing at that one.  She hung up.

One day I decided to get mean and told a few that  they had contacted the home of two federal government employees who  know that   calls and questions like that were against the law.     This got them off the phone quickly .

While I've been writing this post,  two spam calls have come in already.

Respected Contributor

@Buffalogal47 

THANK YOU!

I did not know my iPhone had that feature to silence unknown callers!  I just turned it on.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Esteemed Contributor

@Witchy Woman 

Don't know the model number, but my phones are AT&T, where I retired. The other feature is this. You can manually enter any phone number you want blocked into the "numbers blocked" list, with no ring. 

Glad my post gave you some info.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Sooner,

The phone set I bought is AT&T, not sure of model, but it is years old, so newer phones are probably better. With ours, you could enter the phone numbers from your mom's nursing home, that you want blocked. You can manually add any phone number to your "blocked" list of numbers.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

Got a couple this week.All local phone numbers..

They were trying to sell  me a warranty for my car..

The one we junked 4 years ago!