Honored Contributor

Re: Apps — Why Do You Think They Are Pushed and Pushed

@qbetzforreal wrote:

Apps allow mobile shopping.  The consumer is not tethered to a home computer or the tv.  If you're out and about- you can shop.

@qbetzforreal   I use  QVC. Com on both my phone and tablet.  I also use a rebate site.  You can do everything on the website you can do on the app.  I no longer even own a computer and don't even have the app downloaded.  It serves no purpose. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

The App is my #1 way to shop -- easy & fast! 

Honored Contributor

It costs money to develop an app. Especially one that needs to handle volume and speed like a shopping app. Part of the roll out plan is to promote usage. If they spend the money to create the app, it doesn't pay off unless enough people use it. Promotion is part of the implementation of any app.

They created the app because an app has its own icon on your phone screen. It only takes you to the shopping app. If you go through the website to buy you can be distracted by a million other things and not buy. Plus on your browser you have a chance to price compare with stores like Amazon.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

While I don't begrudge it others, I don't do apps.  I don't do anything financal on my phone.  That's what works for me.

But pushing apps is probably because they make a lot of money.  They make money for the app creators and they make money for the retailers.   It's just business.  Smiley Happy

But I will most likely continue to not want to use apps.     I don't really even give out my cell phone number.  I've had the same cell phone number since 1994 and very few people/entities on the planet have ever had it.  My husband, my father has it, and three good friends.   

I did have to give it to one of my banks so, begrudgingly, I did so for the purpose of - oh darn.  I forgot what it was, but it had to be very specific and seemingly necessary and it's not even the bank where I have most of my money.  That bank does not have it but they keep asking for it.  That's kind of what gets me more than the app thing.  I've had several entities try to force me to add my cell# to my account.   That's annoying.   I pay my bills before they are due 100% of the time. Just leave me alone.