Valued Contributor

I truly appreciate all the comments and information given. I'm of two minds about statins --while I was on Lepitor for several months, nothing changed in my cholesterol readings. I surely don't need joint pains. I have enough trouble with my spinal stenosis as it is.'

I know one should trust the M.D., but this one is a vascular internist and I only met him once. He is probably skilled, but he doesn't know me or my history, really. I also have three abdominal aneurysms that he is watching. The cholesterol thing is secondary.

Anyway, THANK YOU TO ALL!

Respected Contributor

@zitawins wrote:

I truly appreciate all the comments and information given. I'm of two minds about statins --while I was on Lepitor for several months, nothing changed in my cholesterol readings. I surely don't need joint pains. I have enough trouble with my spinal stenosis as it is.'

I know one should trust the M.D., but this one is a vascular internist and I only met him once. He is probably skilled, but he doesn't know me or my history, really. I also have three abdominal aneurysms that he is watching. The cholesterol thing is secondary.

Anyway, THANK YOU TO ALL!

If you do decide to try a statin, consider insisting on the lowest dose and see if the numbers improve. I think that some doctors prescribe too high of a dosage when starting a statin. 

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

I don't take any medication and only read the thread out of curiosity as to what Crestor is about. 

I'm posting in defense of a fellow poster who was kind to share her and her husband's experience taking statins and the rude treatment she received in return.

There is no excuse for another poster to admonish her for recommending a documentary or to make accusations that have no basis in fact.

If not interested in an alternative and wish to rely solely on one's doctor then scroll on by.

Esteemed Contributor

I got put on Crestor last Monday 20 mg.   I was on Pravachol years ago.

Esteemed Contributor

@barrel racer wrote:

I got put on Crestor last Monday 20 mg.   I was on Pravachol years ago.

How are you doing on Crestor, @barrel racer ?  I am asking because DH was given a RX for it.  The dose he was given is 5 mg and told to begin everyother day.  

His cholesterol numbers are good, but a CT scan showed arterial plaque.  He has been doing all the natural things (fiber and phytosterols) for over a year and it has improved his counts.  I would hate for him to have a heart attack or stroke.  The cardiologist said it could happen even if a person has good cholesterol numbers.  He will begin taking it today.

@hckynut 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I think that people should listen to their doctors, who knows their medical history, instead of making medical decisions based on a "documentary".

@Anonymous032819  One can do both...

Sadly, so many Drs nowadays deal with their patients 'old school'. and don't bother incorporating new findings. It puts many of their patients at risk by giving them prescriptions unnecessarily...like my DH and myself!

Even I was given poor info and prescriptions that were not needed and effected my health/made my health worse! At one point I was afraid of dying! I wrote a lot about it in my OP in this thread a couple of years ago if you care to read it...

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Wellness/For-those-that-believe-in-low-fat-diets/m-p/5353543#M158055

Have you even watched the video yet? Your post makes me think you haven't...

I don't know why some folks choose not to even watch it...it really is eye-opening/educational.

No, I have not seen it, and I don't watch "documentaries" that are anti-medicine. Not all prescriptions are evil, you know. I will trust my doctor, who knows my history, over a slanted anti-medicine so-called "documentary".

@Anonymous032819  It is not an anti-medicine video. Certain meds are not beneficial.

DH and I are not anti-medicine...we are against those that do more harm than good.

Watch the video to see for yourself. And did you bother reading my long OP in the link to the thread I share for you? About examples of DH and myself given meds unnecessarily?

I will still listen to my doctor who knows my medical history, over anecdotal stories that are on a shopping channel's chat board.

Why are you trying so hard to convert me to your cause?

Are you so threatened by those who choose live their life differently from the way that you do?

Can't you just accept that not everybody wants to live the way that you do?

Why the hard sell?

Why are you so insistent that your little story be read?

But you do you, and please, let others do the same.

@Anonymous032819  isn't this the same video that was talked about in Wellness some time ago? Isn't that something?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone use Crestor?

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I think that people should listen to their doctors, who knows their medical history, instead of making medical decisions based on a "documentary".

------------------------------------------------------

It's baaaack!!!

Honored Contributor

Things OTC such as Cholest Off, Lessman Cholesta Care and Puritans Phytosterol Complex are all made from plant sterols, I have  been taking them for 17 years to keep my chol at under 200. Worth trying.  Also flaxseed meal sprinkled in and on your foods. I do all I can to avoid statins. Another good one is Natures Way Cholesterol Shield. 

Honored Contributor

This is the same video, and resulting discussion that was beaten around just a week or so ago.  It was shut down I think.

@Susan Louise 

I did watch this video, after it was very so frequently discussed on this forum, I don’t take statins.

IMO it is lacking in reproducible clinical data.  

Glad you found it helpful.

@Anonymous032819 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

DH was on Crestor for a couple of years with no side effects and it was very helpful as far as his cholesterol. Then his employer changed his insurance to BCBS/ California. They refused to pay for it, so his dr sent a letter saying he needed the Crestor because other things he had tried did not work as well. They refused. He is now on something generic that I can't recall but it does not work nearly as well so he is on two more as a result. If you are lucky enough to get Crestor, go for it.