Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone in or from Rochester, NY?

@bridal_diva  By any chance, is there a realtor he or you could suggest for that area? TIA!

Regular Contributor

I can ask him this weekend if that works for you. he chairs the Bio Statistic dept at RU and is not available during the day.

Honored Contributor

@bridal_diva That would be wonderful; thank you!

Valued Contributor

@RespectLife   I am also in WNY.  Roads are awful here, only ones they repair are the ones to the stadium (live near there).  

Everytime you turn around in NYS there's another fee that seems to be added onto something.  Erie County, Monroe County, Genesee County ... they're all in the same boat ... not close enough to NYC to reap the benefitis that are bestowed upon them.  

But don't forget the STAR exemption that can be applied for a year after you own your home, only problem there is that if the school district in your area exceeds the state allowed cap ... no STAR credit/checks. 

And the weather truly is awful from November-April and the Rochester area gets it worse than here.  

There are very nice suburbs in the Rochester area just as in the Buffalo area, but they all face the same issues as any other area of the country.  

Good luck to you.  

Helen852
Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@Shelbelle  Just outside Columbia.

Sounds likea very nice area to me, Howard County is upscale with very high taxes!!

Honored Contributor

@Helen852 wrote:

@RespectLife   I am also in WNY.  Roads are awful here, only ones they repair are the ones to the stadium (live near there).  

Everytime you turn around in NYS there's another fee that seems to be added onto something.  Erie County, Monroe County, Genesee County ... they're all in the same boat ... not close enough to NYC to reap the benefitis that are bestowed upon them.  

But don't forget the STAR exemption that can be applied for a year after you own your home, only problem there is that if the school district in your area exceeds the state allowed cap ... no STAR credit/checks. 

And the weather truly is awful from November-April and the Rochester area gets it worse than here.  

There are very nice suburbs in the Rochester area just as in the Buffalo area, but they all face the same issues as any other area of the country.  

Good luck to you.  

@Helen852   Just an FYI regarding the so called benefits bestowed on NYC. The infrastructure is tumbling down. The GW Bridge is about 82 years old ready to tumble also. Have you been on the Cross Bronx lately? 

The taxes in Rockland County NY are about the fourth highes in the whole country.

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle  It does look nice, doesn't it? That which glitters is not always gold beneath, however. Those high taxes are going to get higher each year for the next few years and the development that is bad is going to get far worse. For all the money, there are some serious problems and well, it's going to get ugly.

I don't think there's really any place that is perfect; that said, with affordable housing running $350,000- $500,000 and a very small house needing major work running an average of $750,000 here, we are looking at any location DH's company can relocate him.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SahmIam 

Her name is Betsy Reddington & the number is 585-613-1226

They were very pleased with her!

Honored Contributor

@Helen852 wrote:

Good luck to you.  

@Helen852 

I hear ya!  Every word!  If my kids were not settled here, I would be gone or at min. a Snow bird!

I'm in Niagara County and it is no better!  How sad those of us in WNY have to wish each other Good Luck!  LOL

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@Shelbelle  It does look nice, doesn't it? That which glitters is not always gold beneath, however. Those high taxes are going to get higher each year for the next few years and the development that is bad is going to get far worse. For all the money, there are some serious problems and well, it's going to get ugly.

I don't think there's really any place that is perfect; that said, with affordable housing running $350,000- $500,000 and a very small house needing major work running an average of $750,000 here, we are looking at any location DH's company can relocate him.

Oh yes @SahmIam 

I should have mentioned that !  WNY has very affordable housing compared to many, many other areas of the country!  Friends that have moved to CA or New England, MN etc etc can't believe what they are charging for tiny cottages!  You can get a HUGE house in this area for the same amount of money.  It is truly get and take....you can get perks but they take it back in taxes.  Probably a wash!