Honored Contributor

Anyone in or from Rochester, NY?

[ Edited ]

Looking for feedback for living in Rochester. Now, we wouldn't be living in the city but suburbs of Rochester. 

Cold and snow isn't an issue; the quality of life and what areas you would not care to live in due to crime, poor schools, etc are.

Thank you!

EDITED for my missed poof reading...wow, lol.

Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone in or from Rochester, NY?

I grew up in Fairport - a suburb east of Rochester. I loved it- good schools, nice community, beautiful village. I am only familiar with the suburbs east of the city- Brighton, Pittsford, Fairport, Penfield and Webster.  I know longer live there but I would look there first.  Good luck!

Contributor

My daughter lives in Fairport with husband (grew up there) and 2 kids. They LOVE it and her inlaws have been there forever. I am selling my house downstate to move there myself ASAP.

Honored Contributor

@skamom Will you be moving to Fairport as well? I have a list of areas suggested by a few people in my community who either grew up in Rochester or worked there for decades and move but have many members of their family there and they all love it as well.

Honored Contributor

@FastDogWalker2  Oh my gosh; those are the areas were told to look at with Webster being #1 on the list. WOW. 

This is looking pretty good, lol.

Honored Contributor

I live in WNY and had relatives all around the Rochester area.  Those areas listed are all lovely and would be my first choice. 

Glad cold and snow isn't an issue since the Rochester area can get as much as Buffalo!  The further west you go from Rochester towards Syracuse gets even more snow!

Hope taxes aren't an issue though!  NY is draining me...I will be working til I expire.

If you are already in NYS, them you know...but if not....please check out the taxes in the area you pick.  All of NY is beyond excessive, but certain towns and counties have a different rate and it really can vary.

We built a new home 2 miles from our previous but it went into the next town.  Our taxes are THOUSANDS more!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RespectLife We're in MD and high taxes here are the norm. County taxes just increased by 10% and they WILL be going up each year for the next few years. Not to mention MD is listed at the top of the list as the worst place to retire due to double taxation. So, yeah, we are used to it.

We don't mind it as long as we see something for what we're paying. Ain't nothing free and you get what you pay for is something we know is true.

Honored Contributor

I have some acquaintanceship with western New York, and agree with everything people have said, @SahmIam.   @RespectLife, so true about the tax situation in New York.  For awhile, I believe N.Y. vied with Massachusetts for the highest taxes, overall, in the nation, but don't know if that is still the case.

The area has some of the nicest, most genuine people I've ever had the good fortune to encounter.

Contributor

yes, as soon as i sell my house...I cannot wait...downsizing and the property taxes are 1/3 to 1/2 what i pay now...criteria are close to my daughter, close to Wegmans/Aldi, close to canal as i am a walker

Respected Contributor

A native of Rocheter here ... all the towns mentioned are good ..

Fairport .. where my daughter lived .. and Webster where we

lived and loved it ... Penfield is great too ... Ahhh yes .. Wegmans .....