Respected Contributor

Anyone have an Amazon Alexa?

[ Edited ]

We've had an Amazon Alexa for almost two years. I haven't used it for anything but an occasional question or to hear my notifications when my packages are delivered. My youngest daughter has one and they use it for everything. In fact, we can be out of town and she can have Alexa turn on her lights, or music for her cats. 

Seems innocent enough right?  

My son in law, on the other hand, would not have one in his house. He feels that it's too easy to be listened in on. He swears that he and my daughter could be discussing something and an advertisement would pop up on his phone right after the discussion. 

However, I have now permanently unplugged ours.  We were watching Andy Griffith the other day. The TV was down really low as my husband was outside and I had decided to lay down for a few minutes.  Suddenly, I hear this awful rap music blasting through my house.  Really loud. I mean blasting!  My husband was still outside when I ran into the den to see what was happening.  It was Alexa!  I actually had to scream into Alexa to stop.  Now, I'm sure that Andy Griffith didn't ask Alexa to play rap music as loudly as possible. It gave me a creepy feeling to say the least. 

I'm going to have to agree with my son in law. I'm no longer a fan of Alexa.  I think technology has far surpassed me.   

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone have an Amazon Alexa?

I have an echo in the bedroom and I only use it to listen to podcasts, some radio stations, music and watch some shows on Amazon. I keep the camera off, and don't do any ordering.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@Georgiagrama   I have two Amazon Echos and really like them.  A few times, though, Alexa has popped up and said something when I didn't ask her a question.

The other day, for instance, I was talking to my dog, Ava.  I said, "Ava, Ava, Ava."  

Alexa said, "Eve had three sons--Cain, Abel and Seth."  I thought, how in the world did she get that from what I said?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

The instrument is not an "Alexa"; it's an Echo, Dot or one of several other tools.  I was in the first group to ever receive one, about 4 years ago as I recall.  If mine quit working, I'd immediately order another.  I don't nearly use it to capacity, but what I do use is indispensable to me.  Yes, it occasionally blurts out something strange but that's just its personality, as far as I'm concerned.  I'm not the least bit concerned about it evesdropping.  If someone is so bored they'd listen to conversations between me and my dogs, they're welcome to them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@NickNack   Now see, that's what I find so creepy.  I thought that you had to begin any quire with "Alexa".  

At any rate, Alexa is no more at my house.  I feel like I'm being watched 👀. 

Super Contributor

I unplugged mine months ago.  Too many odd, unasked for remarks.  I enjoyed having her at my fingertips, but it isn’t worth the possible security and privacy trade offs.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624   We never used ours enough to consider it useful. My youngest daughter has hers programmed to do just about everything that it was designed for. 

I would be happy to give you mine. I don't care for sudden outbursts. 😊

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Mine has periodically started playing the ESPN Sports Center theme.  I think I have the skill enabled.  Not sure what was setting it off, but it hasn't done it in a very long time.

Always scared the begebegies out of me.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Twoaces wrote:

I unplugged mine months ago.  Too many odd, unasked for remarks.  I enjoyed having her at my fingertips, but it isn’t worth the possible security and privacy trade offs.

@Twoaces   I agree.  This was a first and last for me. I haven't checked with anyone who would know for sure, but my friend feels like someone tapped into it somehow accidentally.  Who knows?? It's unplugged permanently now. 

Honored Contributor

I have several and enjoy them. Any voice info the Echo collects right before and after the word "Alexa" goes straight to Amazon, not international spies. It's similar to Siri.

Amazon already has so much detailed info on everything about me based on my purchases. They also have my credit card info, my address, phone number, and the addresses of many of my friends and relatives. I am quite sure based on purchases they can easily pinpoint how old I am, how I vote, what my insecurities are, and what would persuade me. That cow is long gone from the barn when it comes to privacy from Amazon.

Your credit card company and bank also have this sort of information about you.

Facebook has just as much info about you as Amazon and they provide it to any advertiser that pays them, which includes influence groups, and allows them to try to manipulate you without constraint. That's why I avoid Facebook like the devil, because to me it is.

All that happens with Amazon's info cache is they let me know it might be time to buy more coffee pods and recommend ebooks I've put in my wish lists. They don't use outside advertisers. It's all the giant Amazon store.

If you think someone hacked your Echo, you should check your wifi security. The weakest point is your internet connection.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr