Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone have an Amazon Alexa?

[ Edited ]

I got it last year, and my neighbor’s teenage son set up Alexa for me while his mother and I were making spaghetti and meatballs for our lunch.

So far, no problems with my Alexa, but once in awhile she suddenly makes a loud sound like  it is “passing gas“.  Each time the “passing gas” sound is different. 🤔

~Life is short. Eat well. You could die tomorrow.~

Trusted Contributor

We have 6 on our property. We use them for the "drop in" feature so we can communicate between different buildings.  Also use them for timers and reminders.

Honored Contributor

@EatWell wrote:

I got it last year, and my neighbor’s teenage son set up Alexa for me while his mother and I were making spaghetti and meatballs for our lunch.

So far, no problems with my Alexa, but once in awhile she suddenly makes a loud sound like  it is “passing gas“.  Each time the “passing gas” sound is different. 🤔

~Life is short. Eat well. You could die tomorrow.~

He could have set up an Alexa routine to play the Fiesty Farts skill every few days. Clearly you are adored. Woman Very Happy

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Contributor

Love my Anazon Alexa.  You can change the wake up name.  You have options.  It can be changed to "Echo" "Amazon" "Computer"...  I believe they are working on the software allowing you to call your device anything you want.  I also have the Amazon clock that interfaces with Alexa.  So when I set a timer on my device, the minutes each had a small LED light on the clock that light up so you can visually see how much time if left on you timer.

Honored Contributor

I have one only because I won it in a contest. It sat in the box for about a year.  One  day out of boredom I plugged her in.  I have yet to find a purpose of the thing,,,,it sits unused 99% of the time.

One day I was listening to Dr Phil and the guest he had on was named Alexa.....Dr. Phil gave the guest a compliment saying the name Alexa and my Alexa echo said THANKYOU. 

Today, I asked Alexa for a local phone number.....she gave me a wrong number. The person I called said Alexa always gives out his phone number.....?

seems really lame to me. 

Honored Contributor

I have one of the early Echo device and 3 Echo Dots.  Couldn't live without them!  I don't use them to their full potential, but I use them a lot for my needs.  Great products!

Honored Contributor

@Georgiagrama   Alexa is the "voice."  Not the name of the "devices."

I have DOTs in every room of my house.  NONE are named "Alexa" the WAKE word  All these devices have 4-5 other WAKE words you can use so the divices does not activate "at will.

You can go into your settings & "teach" the devices to learn the nuances of your voice along w/many other customizations.

The "voice" on all my DOTs is Samual L. Jackson's (uncensored) NOT "Alexa."  (2 queen bees cannot live under the same roof.)

If the devices hear a sound similar to what you named it (WAKE WORD),  it will activate.

So all that being said, I have NEVER had any issues w/any of my DOTS.  Love my "3 personal assistants."

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

I have either an echo or dot throughout the house, as well as a show.  I do not use them to their potential but find them invaluable for my needs.

Living alone and having access to a device from anywhere in the house gives me a high degree of safety comfort.  If I fall, get hurt or simply am in need of quick help from family I can tell Alexa to call (a contact) and help is on the way.  No worries about being able to get to or reach a phone.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

I don't like voice command and prefer to just tap a screen not to mention privacy concerns. 

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Georgiagrama   Alexa is the "voice."  Not the name of the "devices."

I have DOTs in every room of my house.  NONE are named "Alexa" the WAKE word  All these devices have 4-5 other WAKE words you can use so the divices does not activate "at will.

You can go into your settings & "teach" the devices to learn the nuances of your voice along w/many other customizations.

The "voice" on all my DOTs is Samual L. Jackson's (uncensored) NOT "Alexa."  (2 queen bees cannot live under the same roof.)

If the devices hear a sound similar to what you named it (WAKE WORD),  it will activate.

So all that being said, I have NEVER had any issues w/any of my DOTS.  Love my "3 personal assistants."

@Mz iMac   Clearly I never learned to use "the device" to it's full potential.  But, I don't need personal assistants so it's been furloughed. 😁😁