Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone Having Trouble With Amazon Website?

I had issues with them this morning..........related to a purchase.  I was charged twice and they tried to tell me it was just the vendor making sure my credit card was good. The vendor had already been paid.  The new charge was for roughly $20 more than the original  Ugh!!!!

Trusted Contributor

I just placed an order with a gift card.  It went smoothly...got confirmation email immediately...🤞.....DW

Esteemed Contributor

Amazon had issues today.  I could not play music or anything for several hours, and TP link also was out for several hours.  It was strange but all working good now.   I did notice over the weekend I kept locking up on their site.  Most likely from thousands shopping.

Esteemed Contributor

A few times lately they've been giving me an error message, saying my bank account isn't a valid form of payment.  Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't.  No way to tell when it will be a valid form of payment and when it won't be. 🙄

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Trusted Contributor

Have not been on Amazon recently but several their sites have been crashing or just freezing. I tried for two hours to send an e-gift birthday card  yesterday from Barnes and  it said I had timed out as soon as I signed in,etc. Similar issue on the Nordstrom and Old Navy Sites. Hard to believe these stores are surprised by the amount of customers.

Honored Contributor

Maybe it's because a major building of theirs was just lost in those horrible huge, tornados about a day or so ago.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Business Insider

Why everything from Netflix to Nintendo goes offline when Amazon's servers have issues

The outage had widespread ripple effects on a variety of services hosted by Amazon.

It was the latest example of how much of the modern internet is dependent on a single company: Amazon.

Amazon's web-hosting subsidiary, Amazon Web Services, suffered a major outage on Tuesday morning.

For some folks, Alexa devices going down was the red flag. For others, it was their Ring doorbell not working, or their inability to load Netflix.

For thousands of Amazon warehouse workers, it was evident when they were forced to stop working.

Like the last time this happened just over a year ago, dozens of services were knocked out as a result of Amazon's outage.

Beyond Amazon's own products, like Alexa and Ring, there are millions of people, companies, and government agencies that depend on Amazon's widely used web hosting and cloud infrastructure. 

Netflix, for instance, uses AWS "for nearly all its computing and storage needs, including databases, analytics, recommendation engines, video transcoding, and more," according to Amazon.

But the services that Amazon's AWS customers each use vary widely, from remote database software used for tracking business to remote storage for files and much more. 

Those customers include, but aren't limited to, Netflix, Tinder, Nintendo, McDonald's, Sweetgreen, Disney+, and Roku — all of which experienced issues on Tuesday.

Amazon's own e-commerce site was down for some, and its delivery drivers were unable to route deliveries. 

Amazon called it "an AWS service event that affected Amazon Operations and other customers," in a statement to Insider. 

It was, in short, a total mess — the result of a surprisingly large group of major companies depending entirely on Amazon for base level functionality.

Though Amazon is most well-known for being the internet's main storefront, the company's web services arm is a behemoth in its own right.

Like most things Amazon does, AWS is the biggest player in the cloud services market in the US. It continues to beat out competition from Microsoft and Google, among others, and pulls in over $40 billion in annual revenue for the company.

Though Amazon has a variety of different server clusters across the US, the outage on Tuesday was specific to one data center — it affected the "US-East Region," Amazon said, which is located in Virginia, and Americans all over the country were impacted.

By Tuesday evening, Amazon said it had "resolved the issue" and services had returned to normal — at least until next time.