Respected Contributor

R.I.P. Mike Nesmith

[ Edited ]

And now there's only one.

Sigh...I was crazy about The Monkees from age 9-12.

He was only 78. Said "natural causes" ...yet "surrounded by family"...so had to have been ill with something, usually when family comes to surround you. Not like a 97 y.o. maybe just dying of old age.  Anyway...they are being private about it, understood. RIP. All these "ends of eras"...as we all get older..

ps. Trivia maybe some of you know...his mom invented White Out.

***Corrected: She invented "Liquid Paper"...I guess "White Out" copied her.

Honored Contributor

@amyb wrote:

He was only 78. Said "natural causes" ...yet "surrounded by family"...so had to have been ill with something, usually when family comes to surround you. Not like a 97 y.o. maybe just dying of old age.  Anyway...they are being private about it, understood. RIP. All these "ends of eras"...as we all get older..

@amyb  His mother invented Liquid Paper.

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee I actually almost put Liquid Paper...thought it was one and same, but I stand corrected. 

Esteemed Contributor

Heartbroken. He was always my favorite and one of my first crushes. One of their albums was the first I ever owned: in fourth grade.

Honored Contributor
Rest In Peace GIF - Rip Candle 安息 - Discover & Share GIFs Rest In Peace Quotes, Contentment Quotes, San Roman, Condolence Messages, Sympathy Quotes, Grieving Quotes, Deepest Sympathy, 1 Gif, The Power Of Love

Respected Contributor

This news hurts my heart.  I saw Mike and Micky a few months ago at their Farewell tour.  Mike was certainly showing his years but he could still spin a tale.

They sang many of the tunes that I remember from my younger days and also my favourite rare cut.  So I'm extra glad I have that memory.

Mike had major heart surgery a few years ago. 

Condolances to his family and friends

A talent is lost today.

Farewell Papa Nez. You done good.

Honored Contributor

@amyb wrote:

@amyb  it was heart failure

Honored Contributor

So sorry to hear this sad news, another great contributor to music passes.  I loved the Monkees TV show and their music so upbeat and fun!  Nesmith has left his mark in the woorld of music and the hearts of his fans.  I am a blues, Jazz lover but whenever I hear the Monkees music, I appreciate every song!!!  May Mike be at peace with God.

Esteemed Contributor

He was my favorite Monkee. : (

Respected Contributor

Was YouTubing him just now...never knew he wrote "Different Drum." There's a great version of him doing it live, acoustic, at the Britt Festival in '92.