Honored Contributor

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I have similar issues and I've written down a list of things that help me so when I'm in the middle of it and can't think, can go through it. 
I don't know what medication you take but beta blockers (propranolol) helps with the physical symptoms which in turn calms my mind. 
Thinking of you....

Esteemed Contributor

@kinda silly   I'm so sorry you are going through this.  I have no answer, but want to wish you well.

My anxiety meds help a lot.  Perhaps you just need a change of medication?  I know, I know -- if only it were that simple.  

Honored Contributor

Sometimes panic attacks are caused by a missed medical diagnosis. Back in the 1980's I was having them frequently. After years of misery, it turned out I had mitral valve prolapse. I was also diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease and my thyroid was going from sluggish to overactive ...all produced symptoms of anxiety. With medication I am now without the attacks. Also low blood sugar can cause panic. But it took many years before I found a physician who was familiar with my symptoms and put it all together. 

I hope you find relief very soon @kinda silly . 💐

Contributor

@Desert Lily wrote:

@kinda silly  I had panic attacks when my father died, my child went to college 3,000 miles away, and my mother got ill all within 2.5 years. I realized I was the only family member on the West coast to take care of my mother...and if anything happened to me, there was only myself to rely on.

I used to meet friends for lunch, go shopping, go to movies, before the above happened. But then when I went out, I was afraid something would happen so I wouldn't be able to get back home. I had panic attacks when I was out, but I never told anyone.

I bought a new car, thinking that would make me feel more secure when I went out. It may have helped a little. But inside I knew that it was because I felt alone and away from my family, had already buried my father, and it wouldn't be long before my mother would pass. And my DH and my BFF on the West coast passed unexpectedly, too.

What helped? idk, maybe nothing. Maybe crying the stress out. Leaving the TV on all the time. I tried relaxing my muscles from head to toe at bedtime. Working a lot of hours. Continuing to write my novels. But I never shared that I was having panic attacks, and that might have helped. I commend you for sharing. You'll be okay.

Then along came the pandemic a couple years after my mom died, and I was in the house for 2 years and my 18 year old fur baby companion passed in summer 2021. Even though I moved across the country this spring to be near my family, I still don't go out unless I absolutely have to.

I'm embarrassed to say that I have less than 40 miles on my car since I moved here in April. My child comes here and my SIL picks me up...I've never told them I can't go out on my own. Sometimes I make excuses & stay home. I feel lost living in a very small town setting, almost countryside, and miss living near a big city with nearby conveniences.

I think my key word is "lost." I felt lost & alone on the West coast and feel lost here.

So, maybe knowing that you're not alone with panic attacks helps. I hope it will help you.

Oh (((((Lily))))) sending you gentle hugs. I'm so sorry you have suffered so many losses. Please know that I'm thinking of you and hoping it gets better for you. 

Contributor

I am teary eyed because none of you know me but you took the time to try to help me. That alone helps me feel better; that there are still good, kind people in the world. Please know that I will look into your suggestions. 
Thank you 🙏 

Respected Contributor

Please seek advice from a mental health professional.

Esteemed Contributor

@kinda silly, After some thought, I wonder if I might suggest you walk for about one half hour a day?  Some exercise is good for us all, mentally and physically.

Trusted Contributor

@kinda silly  I am sorry to hear what you are going through - anxiety is a bitch. 

Anyway, the last 5 or so years of my working I was having a horrible time sleeping, I'd lay down & my mind just kept thinking, thinking & thinking, lots of thoughts racing through my head but nothing I could do to calm it down.  Finally, when I had hip replacement surgery 5 years ago the doctor referred me to a sleep center prior to surgery & come to find out I needed a cpap as my sleep apnea was causing me sleepless nights & honestly, I hate the darn thing but I get a good nights sleep 6 out of 7 nights/week - so much worth it.  

I hope what you need you are able to find an answer to.

Honored Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

@kinda silly, After some thought, I wonder if I might suggest you walk for about one half hour a day?  Some exercise is good for us all, mentally and physically.

Shoekitty said:   Yes!  Exercise is proven without a doubt to  reduce anxiety. It releases good hormones and clears the mind a bit. I exercise daily and when I haven't been able to, like being I'll or hospital I notice the difference 

Esteemed Contributor

@kinda silly, Aw gee!  You are a good person.  You are worthy of happiness.  You are worthy of being liked and loved.  You are much nicer than some people I can think of!

Nobody is perfect.  Everyone has their problems.  Everyone has struggled with something.  If they are honest, they will admit it.  

HUGS!