Trusted Contributor

Re: Another Question about How Much Cash for Wedding Gift

$100 is the minimum amount I would give.  I was married almost 41 years ago, and $40-$50 was the average cash gift...and some were $100. 

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Esteemed Contributor

@onlyshopsonline wrote:

$100 is the minimum amount I would give.  I was married almost 41 years ago, and $40-$50 was the average cash gift...and some were $100. 

Yes, I remember when $50 was pretty common in my area.  And that was many decades ago!

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@september wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

@Sooner I totally agree with you! Simple receptions (without alcohol, too) without a sit down dinner are SO much more enjoyable for everyone. The event should be about the happy couple, not impressing peopls. A wedding is not a business venture.

@Goldengate8361 

@Sooner 

i am 57 years old and have never heard of or been invited to a wedding that does not include food and music.

Same here.  I’ve attended weddings all over the country 

yes @september .....so have i.....in AND out of the country.

i am also in the process of  planning a wedding for my daughter.

i cannot imagine NOT feedling our guests......

My father was Italian, weddings lasted three days and were elaborate with tons of food, live bands and dancing and booze.

My mother was German.  Her family was very conservative and had small weddings. Receptions were held in the church basement where cake, punch and coffee was served. No music or dancing.  Sometimes little tea sandwiches were served as well.

My father referred to them as " Cake Eater" weddings. Ah, the memories.

Respected Contributor

Expecting people to pay to travel for a party is absurd. It's a lot of pressure to be in a wedding when the bride has high expectations!

Paying for "your plate" is ridiculous. My wedding cost 60k over 20 yrs ago, I certainly didn't "expect" anything. I appreciated the gifts that were chosen personally or purchased from our registry. I would say that a $100+ check is the norm if giving a monetary gift however, you should give what you can afford!