Esteemed Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

My neighborhood association has a list of reliable tradesmen.

I trust people I know over a website any day!

You're in an ideal situation.  I have to fend for myself!Robot Frustrated

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

It sounds like what I figured - it would range dramatically from location to location, in terms of good service/reliability/etc.

Interesting reading the various reviews.

I'm sorry I don't have an answer.  I just tuned in to see what other peoples' experiences were.  Smiley Happy   I am only familiar with this to the extent that I've seen commercials on tv.

Honored Contributor

Re: Angie's List?

[ Edited ]

@Financialgrl wrote:

I joined when it became free but I have had better luck with Home Advisor.  My sister has used Home Advisor for years and had good luck.  I'm not sure if other states have this or not, but in Virginia they have the online licensing database so you can look that up.   

When I typed info into the Home Advisor site, no sooner had I hit "send" and my phone was ringing.  I took down the info of the company and told them I had a doctor appt and asked if I could call when I returned.  I went to the online website and I could see that the company was indeed licensed.  Home Advisor says that they try to verify if the companies are insured/bonded but all that can change so suggest that you do that due diligence on your own.    BTW, the company I got from Home Advisor is absolutely fantastic and used them a LOT to make repairs to my home before putting it up for sale.  Intend to use them for my new home I'm having built.

@Financialgrl I have had good luck with Home Advisor and also Amazon's home services.

Esteemed Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@Financialgrl wrote:

I joined when it became free but I have had better luck with Home Advisor.  My sister has used Home Advisor for years and had good luck.  I'm not sure if other states have this or not, but in Virginia they have the online licensing database so you can look that up.   

When I typed info into the Home Advisor site, no sooner had I hit "send" and my phone was ringing.  I took down the info of the company and told them I had a doctor appt and asked if I could call when I returned.  I went to the online website and I could see that the company was indeed licensed.  Home Advisor says that they try to verify if the companies are insured/bonded but all that can change so suggest that you do that due diligence on your own.    BTW, the company I got from Home Advisor is absolutely fantastic and used them a LOT to make repairs to my home before putting it up for sale.  Intend to use them for my new home I'm having built.

@Financialgrl I have had good luck with Home Advisor and also Amazon's home services.

I have used Amazon's home services.  I had a good experience with getting some window AC's installed.  It's good to know they are there too.  Totally forgot about this.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@Financialgrl wrote:

I have used Amazon's home services.  I had a good experience with getting some window AC's installed.  It's good to know they are there too.  Totally forgot about this.

@itiswhatitis I have had good luck with both but I appreciate when you work with Amazon you get their great guarantee (similar to when you contract with a Costco related company) but again I have to say I am very pleased with Home Advisor if you do not have access to those companies in terms of membership.

Esteemed Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@Financialgrl wrote:

@itiswhatitis I have had good luck with both but I appreciate when you work with Amazon you get their great guarantee (similar to when you contract with a Costco related company) but again I have to say I am very pleased with Home Advisor if you do not have access to those companies in terms of membership.

@momtochloe, you're so right.  I love it.  I'm a prime member and will be looking to Amazon Services for some things.  I'll still have to check their bonafides but it does give me choice.  I don't know why I forgot about them.  They have constantly added all kinds of services for my area too.

So glad you spoke about this.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@Financialgrl wrote:

@momtochloe, you're so right.  I love it.  I'm a prime member and will be looking to Amazon Services for some things.  I'll still have to check their bonafides but it does give me choice.  I don't know why I forgot about them.  They have constantly added all kinds of services for my area too.

@itiswhatitis I had work done from Amazon at a great price as they were first rolling out these services and I am more than happy with the results.

Unfortunately I am no longer a Prime member at this point but for those that are I would more than encourage them to check them out as again you are getting the amazing Amazon customer service behind whatever service you are contracting for.

Esteemed Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@Financialgrl wrote:

@itiswhatitis I had work done from Amazon at a great price as they were first rolling out these services and I am more than happy with the results.

Unfortunately I am no longer a Prime member at this point but for those that are I would more than encourage them to check them out as again you are getting the amazing Amazon customer service behind whatever service you are contracting for.

@momtochloe, do you have to be a prime member to use the services?

*Call Tyrone*
Respected Contributor

Yes, I would also like to know if you have to be a Prime member to use their services.

Esteemed Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

Yes, I would also like to know if you have to be a Prime member to use their services.

I don't think you have to be.  You pay the provider for their service through Amazon and they do the rest.  Just like buying any other non Prime item.  I went looking and I found nothing that suggests you need to be a Prime Member to Purchase their local services.

*Call Tyrone*