Honored Contributor

Re: Angie's List?

[ Edited ]

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Texasmouse wrote:

Yes, I would also like to know if you have to be a Prime member to use their services.

I don't think you have to be.  You pay the provider for their service through Amazon and they do the rest.  Just like buying any other non Prime item.  I went looking and I found nothing that suggests you need to be a Prime Member to Purchase their local services.

@itiswhatitis I believe you are correct as I just went and looked and didn't see anything about Prime being a requirement to participate in these services.  Sorry about the wording of my post, sometimes what is in my head doesn't exactly translate the way I would like . . . sorry about that ladies!

@Texasmouse

Respected Contributor

Thank you @momtochloe!

Honored Contributor

We had good experiences in the beginning.....the last one caused us to cancel our paid membership. One of their service providers arrived stoned and incoherent. His estimate was $3000.00 for a job that ended up costing us less than $200.00 and it was accomplished in just a half an hour. We did pay the stoned guy a fee for the estimate of $75.00. When I complained to Angie's list about our experience, they never called or gave us any written correspondence.

Honored Contributor

I know this sounds a little out of left field but if you have a tradesperson that you really trust (for me it's my HVAC guy) I ask him for recommendations for other professions like electricians, plumbers, etc..  These guys work alongside these guys on a daily basis and know who you can trust.  It's worked well for me.

Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

Any members here?  Your thoughts are welcomed!

Thx.

I have never used it because there was a fee to join.  Never understood the fee and could not find out where that money went.  Glad it is free now, however there should never have been a fee.

Respected Contributor

I joined and paid last year and ended up not re-joining because every repair person listed was about 40 miles away. So the list was worthless to me. I would check the list if it is free but will never buy it again. 

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine 919 wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

Any members here?  Your thoughts are welcomed!

Thx.

I have never used it because there was a fee to join.  Never understood the fee and could not find out where that money went.  Glad it is free now, however there should never have been a fee.

@sunshine 919. That's odd.  If you're a Costco member you pay a yearly membership fee.  Who do you think gets that fee?  You'd be right if you guess it would be the company!  Angie's List was paid Membership based like your gym or anything else where membership fees are collected.

Thanks anyway?

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

I just use Yelp or my neighborhood's listserv to gets recs. 

Honored Contributor

I give them an "F" rating.   When I joined I had to sign up for automatic renewal.  When it was time this past spring to auto renew, they billed me twice - they charged my credit card they had on file but before or simultaneous to that, they told me it was time to renew and offered me a better rate through Paypal.  I thought my autorenew had either expired or I'd used a credit card that I didn't have any more, so I renewed at the much better rate through Paypal.   Silly me - they had billed an active credit card to I got billed twice.  When I called them, they told me they'd accept the lower priced renewal and credit my credit card back.  They never did...fortunately my credit card company took the charge off my credit card when I disputed it.  But how unreputable is that?   The representative at Angie's I spoke to claimed the double-billing was caused by a "glitch" in the system. And then he never did what he told me he'd do - credit back my credit card.  Grade for Angie's LIst:  F.

Valued Contributor

I just joined for free after seeing the ads on TV. I was having trouble with my carpeting. It was buckling in certain areas and I need to find someone to come and stretch it. Well I called and they sent me an e-mail with a few names. Well there was only co. that does this. They were very friendly and they did a beautiful job on my carpet. I also had the carpet cleanced. Very pleased. Will use them again.