Respected Contributor

Re: ...And Then They Met

[ Edited ]

i was booked on a flight,  the gate was moved three times in as many hours. in between i was studying for my class and had a bite to eat and a glass of wine.

after 11:00 PM when the final gate was announced - still no plane.  as i sat waiting a voice said "you know they probably can't get a flight crew at this hour because they are all over their allotted flight hours for the day."

then he said " if that happens they will give hotel vouchers or i coud rent a car. of course, you are welcome to ride along" 

he was cute in a  45ish prematurely silver -haired way and had a wicked sense of humor. we chatted awhile and then the plane finally appeared and it turned out we could board. i had a great seat in row 3.  someone tapped my shoulder and the man waved me over from rows aft to switch seats.  he had me in stitches with travel stories (he was a road warrior)

a few wayward emails later we met for lunch... we've been together evr since.

Esteemed Contributor
Blind date in 1970. We went bowling. He was smitten right away. It took me longer.
My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Respected Contributor

I will attempt to condense this:  I was married at the time to a controlling person; went for counseling for 4 years, but it didn't help.  We separated.

I always had an interest in learning how to fly single engine planes so went to the local airport and ended up meeting a man who was also there to learn to fly.

We spoke for hours afterwards; turned out his wife had a gastric bypass and told him she didn't love him anymore and to move out which he did.

We talked for hours every night and saw one another when we could.  He then asked me to marry him but of course, had to get divorces first.  It only took me a few weeks to get mine; however, once his wife found out about me, she all of a sudden had an interest for him again (funny how that works).  He told her to forget it, but it took months to get his divorce.  

We actually went on a 'honeymoon' for 2 weeks before we got married because she drew it out for so long.   Once the papers were finalized and signed, we got married at the airport where we were learning how to fly.  I got taxied down the runway in the plane we were learning in and got married under the wing of that plane.  It was a small wedding, about 30 people there and had the reception back at my home.  It was very enjoyable.  The rest is history - we'll celebrate 17 years June 10th.

@Mersha , nice thread!

Trusted Contributor
We met at a restaurant on Nantucket. I was there with my sister and BFF. He was there celebrating his brother's wedding.
Respected Contributor

He was a sous chef, I was a waitress. The rest is history.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

Growing up, I lived one street over from my husband.  Walked past his house everyday in elementary school.  His house was on the school path and his backyard was part of the hill that everyone went sled riding on.  My husband is oldest of 3 boys.  I knew the middle one the best because we were are the same age and same class.  Wasn't until high when DH started dating my best friend at the time.  I thought he was a real jerk.  Always around, always looking for her.  Little did I know she wasn't the most faithful girlfriend and cheated a lot, even with one of his best friends.  After they broke up, somehow we stayed in contact.  We'd see each other once in a while, call, talk...nothing major.  We eventually became friends, then good friends...for a long time.  It wasn't until many years later that when my good friend was getting married (not the one he dated).  I was trying to help my friend as much as possible because her parents and most of her family were not going to the wedding.  I asked my DH to go with me.  He really didn't want to but he did.  I was maid of honor.  Leading up to the wedding, and the day of, he was just so kind to my friend helping anyway he can.  I guess you can say I started seeing him diffeently.  But, something I forgot to mention, he was dating a girl for 5 years.  She wanted to get married, he didn't.  They broke up.  About a month after the wedding, we went out on a date.  From the time he dated my friend to the time we got married, it was 16 years.  I married my best friend, the boy (kinda) next door.  

Respected Contributor

@Mersha 

Incredible Topic!!

Folks contributing.   Your romances are "spell binding!!"

Better than ANY Romance Novel I've ever read!

GIF--Hearts--Cursive--THANK-YOU.gif

Honored Contributor

I enjoyed reading everyone's stories, and I look forward to more! 

I had just graduated from college and had 3 part-time jobs. Our family kitty got out and got hurt. Mom took her up and she needed surgery. Mom's good friend was the senior veterinary technician. He was also a gourmet cook. He said he would cook a gourmet meal for any of the veterinarians if they stayed overnight to check on her.

DH was new and jumped at the chance of a free meal! I wanted to see her, but couldn't get there until later at night. Mom told me "someone would be there"!  

He drove a two-seat sports car. I was pretty naive and thought he was too experienced for me! 

Our first "date" was sitting by the water and talking. I found out he was more like me than I thought! 

On our first REAL date (movies) he told me he was not going to get married until he was 30. He didn't make it- LOL!   Smiley Wink

I was pretty "gone" early on!  Heart

Esteemed Contributor
We met at a annual meeting of inter service (Navy, Army, A.F. and Marine) Athletic directors. He worked as Athletic Director at China Lake and I was Special Services Director at Marine Base in Barstow. We only talked for five minutes and then exchanged business cards; he invited me to come up to China Lake " to see his facilities" .2 weeks later he called to invite me to do that and one year later we married ( 39 1/2 yrs so far).
Respected Contributor

DH and I worked together for a year before we dated.  Several co workers tried setting us up but we always declined.   I had just started dating someone when he went on a trip to Europe with his father for a month.  I didn't want to be bored while he was gone so I deicded to ask DH out on a date.  Needless to say I dropped the other guy when he returned from Europe.