Honored Contributor

Re: American Express Platinum Credit Card

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

as a business owner, i have to say that we small businesses hate when people use their american express cards! your benefits are being paid for by the fees charged to the merchants. Smiley Wink they charge us more AND they take more time to deposit that money into our account.

please use your visa, mc, or discover! Smiley Happy

Why not just decline to accept AMEX if you feel it costs you too much? If a merchant accepts the card, I'm going to use it. 

@FrostyBabe1 

as part of our credit card agreement through our processor we are really not supposed to say we dont take amex. it is in violation of our contract. if someone absolutely has to use it then we accept it. otherwise, our good customers know we prefer cash, check, or anything BUT american express.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 wrote:

as a business owner, i have to say that we small businesses hate when people use their american express cards! your benefits are being paid for by the fees charged to the merchants. Smiley Wink they charge us more AND they take more time to deposit that money into our account.

please use your visa, mc, or discover! Smiley Happy

Shoekitty said. @sunshine45   As I said I use my Amex all the time.  But as a business owner it is awful.  I hear you.  Even 30 years a go when I had a small shop in a tourist town it was easy to ger amex for the small business..  but it was a high oercentage of the sale compared to visa or MC!  Even back then it was 2% more than the other cards.  It adds up, especially when people use it on small purchases. If I rememberright you had to have high sales  on amex to lower percentage rate.  Back then there was no way our small shop would do over 25,000 in amex purchases.  So I think we were oaying 5% fees

Esteemed Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

Nope, I have the black (now called the Centurion') Am Ex card, no fees, no need for 'bargaining'.

So you received an invitation and got the card without paying the intiation fee? And no annual fee? Interesting, because I know for a fact that those fees  do exist and how much they are. Very interesting. 

I got an invitation for the Black Card but I am not paying $500 annual fees. This card does carry annual fees.

Trusted Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

@JasoninBoston  I'm pretty sure it will ding your credit if you close it out.  Downgrading the card shouldn't affect it the same way.  

Am Ex wouldn't lower my fee either.

@Snoopp 

That's what I fear.

I was talking to my mom about it last night and she felt I should just keep it as the many good travel features would be something to look forward to!! Like visits to the Sky Clubs!! Or even the Centurion Lounge in Dallas!!

Esteemed Contributor

@elated wrote:

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

Nope, I have the black (now called the Centurion') Am Ex card, no fees, no need for 'bargaining'.

So you received an invitation and got the card without paying the intiation fee? And no annual fee? Interesting, because I know for a fact that those fees  do exist and how much they are. Very interesting. 

I got an invitation for the Black Card but I am not paying $500 annual fees. This card does carry annual fees.

I don't know if this is a typo or if you are talking about another card.  The AMEX Centurion (Black) card is significantly more than $500 (add a zero - yes, $5,000).